On Writing Meta Tags

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by OldenGray, Mar 27, 2008.

1. OldenGray

Message Count:
    On Writing Meta Tags
    All you pros already know most of this, but perhaps many people new to the profession and who want to get into web design don't know about META TAGS. This is written for them. Hopefully, you have a web page editor and can see where to insert your code.

First, the words you put in your TITLE TAG <title></title> will help your page ranking. (The Title Tag is not really a meta tag, though, but it is important) Good description, high ranking. Most search engines will hit on your title HTML tag first when looking for results for the end user - the searcher. This is often the name of the company along with a key phrase that a user will read and then make a determination to visit your website. As a result, if you're doing a website, you should use a well-written title tag to attract the attention of users. Here is an example of a title that's weak and one that's stronger:
    Bob's Graphic Design Company (simple and ineffective)
    Bob's Graphic Design Company, logo designs, web sites, web design (better with more words) Just adding a few extra words to assist click-through.

One of the most important things to do when creating a web site optimized for search engines is to write meta tags. These are unseen, or hidden, tags in between the <head>,</head> area. The code is inserted between the first head tag and the second, or end of the head. If you look at your html code you will see the tags up near the top of your page as seen in your html editor.

Basically, what you need are a meta description tag which is just simply a snippet of HTML code that you put in the <head> section of a Web page. It has to be placed after the title tag and before the meta keyword tag, which is the next tag. The proper syntax for the meta description tag is:
    <meta name="Description" CONTENT="Then write your descriptive text here."> It's what the site is all about. Also, don't make the common mistake of putting the name of the site/BUSINESS here. That belongs in the TITLE tag.

Next you should write a good META KEYWORDS TAG. This should look something like this:
    <META name="Keywords" content="usually up to 50 words and it doesn't matter if the words are separated by commas unless it's easier for you. Also, you can use two word phrases">

It's always a good idea to choose keywords that are relevant to your site and try to avoid excessive repetition. You might want to include alternative misspelling, too, as the search engine may pick up a misspelling just as easily as a correctly spelled word.

The next tag you should include is the ROBOTS META TAG. The Robots META Tag is used by search engines as a means to indicate the level of "spidering" or crawling around in your site as a good search engine should do. This is important as most search engines will hunt for this META tag and will only index and/or spider the pages you want to be indexed.
    Here's what it should look like:
    <META name="Robots" content="index,follow"> or it could read, noindex | index | nofollow | follow depending on what you want the spiders to do. This should be on all pages and can be changed to suit your requirements.

If you change your website's content frequently, you will need a REVISIT tag. The Revisit META Tag is used by search engines to determine how often a web page should be re-visited for re-indexing. Here's what it looks like:
    <META name="Revisit-After" content="30 Days"> Thirty days is a good minimum, but you can put in whatever you want. Fifteen days is also a good number.

While there are other META TAGS, these are probably the more important and there is always some controversy about which ones are important or not important. If you want more information and assistance, go online and look up a META TAG GENERATOR. Oftentimes, these programs will write your meta tags for you and all you have to do is copy the output and then insert the tag in the proper place as noted above. My intent here is get you started with META TAGS and to see the importance of using them for Search Engine Optimization or SEO. They are really easy to do and should be on every page of your web site if you really want to get high rankings.

Olden
  2. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    Olden, this is an excellent "tutorial". Would you mind if I 'borrowed' it to post on my designs site? Giving you full credit, of course.

If not, I completely understand.
  3. OldenGray

Message Count:
    Ohiosweetie;
    Absolutely. Please feel free to use this in any way you like. And, it does not matter if you give me credit, but my thanks anyway. As noted, meta tags are one of those "essentials" to achieving higher rankings with the search engines and should be one of the first things you should do when planning your site although you can add them into your coding even after you've uploaded. If there are any gaps in the information that I overlooked, let me know. Also, if anyone else has anything to add, it's hoped they will provide a follow-up.
    Olden
  4. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Placing keywords into your Title tags

Nice stuff Olden.
    Thanks for posting this.

In staying with Olden's post about Title Tags, make sure to put your key words into your title tag.

For example, one of my main key word phrases for The Logo Creator site is "Logo Software" - I've put this keyword phrase into my Title tag.
    You'll notice, when searching for "Logo Software" -- TheLogoCreator.com will pop up (usually) around #1.

You'll also want to put your key words into a few <H1> and <H2> tags (Header tags). Most HTML tools contain an option for a header tag. Header tags are placed into the body of your page.

It'll look something like this:
    <h1> Get Logo Software Here! </h1>

Don't 'spam' your page with too many keywords however. If you put in too many, you run the chance of a search engine putting you onto the BOTTOM for that particular keyword search.

Keywords are very competitive.
    If you try for "Logo Design" or "Website Design" you're up against big competition.

Try hitting some "niche" keywords. Phrases like "Animal Logos" or "Websites for Kids". You'll place better and you'll have less competition. And I guarantee... SOMEbody will search for those words.

Marc
  5. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    Good suggestions Marc.

For my site, rather than going for styles or skins, which are pretty popular keywords for vBulletin, I target templates, designs, graphics, and themes. I'm pretty high up for those keywords.
  6. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    I absolutely agree with you. And thanks for your permission to use it.
  7. turnkeysetup

Message Count:
    I will provide below a small section of my new ebook that will be released sometime soon. When I get time to finish writing it, as currently I am building 18 different sites...

Now that you have learned the other basics in chapter 1 you will want to learn important information about SEO. Before we get started on this section I would like for you to understand the full truth about SEO what others will not tell you. SEO should be one of the top things you want to impliment into your website but you do not want to rely 100% on search engine's to bring you traffic. There are alot of companies online that want to try and make you think that 80% of a website's traffic comes from search engines and these same companies want to charge you hundreds if not thousands to make your website SEO ready. This is not only a rip-off but its 100% false and mis-leading, most sites online will get about 8% - 15% of their traffic from regular searches on a search engine.

Search Engines are the last thing you want to rely upon when it comes to getting quality traffic to your website but it is still very important to impliment basic SEO on your website based upon the keywords you want to target. These keywords should be based upon your wealth plan that you setup at the begining of this ebook. You will need to either have some basic html knowledge or a website that allows you to add meta tags from the admin panel.

Using the example of the blog about recipes you will want to impliment meta tags in the "body header" of your html right below the "title" tag

<meta name="keywords" content="recipes, cooking, nutritional, recipe blog, healthy eating"/>
    <meta name="description" content="Our recipes blog has great nutritional and heaalthy cooking tips for everybody's eating enjoyment."/>
    <meta name="revisit" content="5 days"/>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/>

Keywords : The keywords should be separated with , and a space. The keywords should be the strongest words you want to use to help people find you in the search engines. Normally this would be popular words and should be limited to no more then 8 - 10 keywords.

Description : The description of what your site does and what your site is about. The description should contain the keywords you used and form a proper sentence about your site. Description should be limited to about 65 characters. Be sure to use natural, easy-to-understand language that conveys the message of your Web site, and includes keywords you'd like your site to rank high for.

Revisit : This meta tag is telling the search-bot when to revisit your website to index it again. It is safe to use anything from 5 days to 30 days, I recommend using 5 days for revisit.

In the title tag of the html I would title my blog recipes website something like this "Recipes blog about healthy cooking and nutritional eating". If you was paying attention here you should see a patern of certain words being repeated. These main words are the ones that I want to use to be found on the search engines when someone does a search.

We want to further use the same words on the website to make sure the search-bot is going to index our blog recipes website using these keywords. We accomplish this by adding a welcome message to the main front page of our website which will be the first text the visitor also views. The welcome message should be something like this example below:

Welcome to MyDomain.com, Our recipes blog has some great nutritional information for heaalthy eating. You can browse our section of cooking tips that have been posted by other members or join now and send us some of your own recipe cooking tips.

If you notice the example welcome message repeats the main words (keywords) that we put in our title and in our meta tags, by doing this our website should be indexed by the search-bot using these keywords. Your welcome message should be longer then the example above and designed to let the visitor know what you have to offer and include these keywords at the same time. Keep in mind not to repeat your keywords too many times as the search-bot will see this as spamming and actually give you a bad listing or not even index your site at all.

As you can see SEO is not as complex as many self proclaimed experts say it is, and you do not have to hire any experts to do the above basic SEO. I will repeat what I said at the start of this section because it is very important that you understand the truth about SEO. SEO should be one of the top things you want to impliment into your website but you do not want to rely 100% on search engine's to bring you traffic. There are alot of companies online that want to try and make you think that 80% of a website's traffic comes from search engines and these same companies want to charge you hundreds if not thousands to make your website SEO ready. This is not only a rip-off but its 100% false and mis-leading, most sites online will get about 8% - 15% of their traffic from regular searches on a search engine.

The above is basic SEO and for those of you that wish to spend the time to learn more on SEO can visit .....

I will cut it off here but that should give you the basics on SEO.

:image28:

James
  8. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    Thank you James
  9. turnkeysetup

Message Count:
    Your welcome ...