Objects that refuse to be colored

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by Gravy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Gravy

Message Count:
    Certain objects refuse to be colored, fortunately there is a workaround.

The object I am using for the example is contained in the corporate logo set 1

1) original object

2) try to color it white and it turns grey

3) add a white shadow

4) set shadow blur to zero and use the opacity control for the original object
    to fade it away

Save it as a new object and now you can reuse it and color it anytime you wish.
  2. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Gravy, what a great workaround!! Thanks!!
  3. PJK

Message Count:
    you know that worked.......but I have a further problem......
    I want my background transparent.....some of the Logos need to be only the words, and nothing in background????....Any help????

Thanks,
    PJK
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    PJK, welcome to the forum.
    Under the EXPORT menu, choose - "more export options..."
    Choose a transparent option (transpgif or png). In some your cursor will change to an eye dropper.
    Click on the color in your logo that you want to be transparent and continue with the export.
  5. PJK

Message Count:
    WOW, I am amazed at being helped so quickly....Thank you VERY much for taking the time to help me.........anything I can ever do in return; will help as best I can.........
    I am printing that out as I type......

Thank you again.........
    PJK
  6. doni49

Message Count:
    I'm sorry--but I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I've got a PNG file that created in another graphics program. It's all black with a transparent BG.

I imported it in to TLC5 and even though I changed the color properties, it is still black.

TIA!
  7. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Make a shadow using the shadow effect in TLC...Pick the color of the shadow you want your object to be, Now after you have done that, Select your main element...Then....You need to select either the outline or attributes function and set the Opacity to zero, meaning slide the lever all the way to the left.
  8. doni49

Message Count:
    A shadow of my element?
  9. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    When I refer to the word "Element" Im refering to the original graphic you are using.
    Yes sir...Then your shadow element now becomes your colored element that couldnt be colored :)
  10. doni49

Message Count:
    Thx. I understand now. I just did it.

That's pretty good!
  11. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    BINGO! , WE HAVE A WINNER :lol:
    I knew you reading and re-reading you would eventually get it :)
  12. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    I am trying to save the white shadow as an element, how do i do that without saving the colored background that it is on for contrast?
  13. KD-did

Message Count:
    What you can try is exporting it as a transparent gif using the eyedropper and choosing to remove the background color or just color the shadow differently for the export and revert it back to white when needed.
  14. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    ok, but where do i save it and how do i access it again, do i just need to "import image" or can i access it through the TLC interface somehow?
  15. BNDAZ

Message Count:
    i saved and exported ) white)and was able to import the image back in.
    BUT when i try to color it the dialog box still says "no colorization", i can still chose "colorize" but the resulting change is washed out, not solid color representative of the one i chose.
    not sure where i went wrong
    ive attached the file, it is a long white bar, can barley be seen below...

Attached Files:

16. KD-did

Message Count:
    What you are doing is adding a layer to the white image so that is why it appears washed out. (Sort of like painting a colored wall white only in reverse). Try adding a shadow of the desired color at 100% opacity directly under the import and cut the opacity of the imported image line until you can no longer see it. Or you might try the "vivid" or "primary" color pallet with better results,