Need Some Joomla Advice

Discussion in 'Joomla and other Content Management Systems (CMS)' started by OldenGray, Nov 25, 2008.

1. OldenGray

Message Count:
    I have recently installed the Joomla admin panel on a site I manage and need some help. This is a charity golf tournament (so I'm doing this gratis) and they need the following:
    1. a slide show on the opening page. I would like some recommendations on the better module/extension to add to this site that would be able to show roughly 120-140 images (or more, if needed).
    2. They also need a registration form that would return some specific data on entrants as well as an automated reply to indicate that the registrant's data has been received.
    3. I have yet to get to the point where the committee wants some way to accept credit cards, but I think that is in the wind. I have no idea how to do this and would appreciate any recommendations or how to go about adding this feature to the site.

Finally, I have a Joomla 1.5 golf template, but I'm not real happy with it. It would be great if someone knows of a golf event that uses Joomla to point me in the right direction. Or, to a template provider that has a low cost golf template.
    Olden
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
  3. OldenGray

Message Count:
    KD
    Thanks for your assistance. That looks exactly like what I was looking for. And, the price is certainly right. I've really enjoyed experimenting with Joomla and picking up occasional work. Not many in this neck of the woods have even heard about Joomla, let alone understand its inner workings. But, once you get into it, the pieces (and there are lots of those) fall into place. One of the so-called "joys" of being retired means I have a lot of extra time on my hands to keep up with the technology. I could have spent days looking for this one. Good to "see" you again, too.

Thanks for your help and have a great Thanksgiving.

OG
  4. OldenGray

Message Count:
    Joomla For Dummies book

There is a new book coming out soon titled "Joomla For Dummies." I've ordered one through Amazon and it should be delivered in late January, shortly after the publishing date. I think the German language edition, "Joomla Fur Dummies" has been available for some time now. If you check with Books A Million, they will tell you March will be the earliest and same with Borders. But, there are alternatives which I haven't yet explored. I use the Adobe Illustrator for Dummies guide and reference it quite often. Personally, the title belies the good, easy-to-understand text. I recently talked with some graphic design students at the University of South Carolina and they did not know about Joomla, but they will now!
    OG