Need Advice on WordPress Project

Discussion in 'Joomla and other Content Management Systems (CMS)' started by OldenGray, Dec 31, 2008.

1. OldenGray

Message Count:
    I am currently building a web site in Word Press. Really wanted to do it in Joomla, but for other reasons (like I'm still learning Joomla), I'm going with Word Press for the moment. I want to:
    1. Add a forum to this site. It's a historical family cemetery and the forum should be connected to the site somehow. Is there a plugin available that anyone knows about that would allow me to build a forum that would be linkable from the front page of the site? Or, if you could, provide some good recommendations.
    2. I want to add images of each grave (roughly 220) and I'm thinking of doing those as pdf files which will be linked to a list of burials. The file will contain a photo of the grave, a photo of the occupant (if available) and dates of birth and death. Some of the graves go back to the early 1800s.
    3. I want to add a slide show to the site that would appear in a dignified manner. I have accumulated literally hundreds of old photographs, paintings, and other memorabilia. Any ideas on a suitable plugin.
    This might be too big a request, but, any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would like to see what I have done so far, please send me a private note and I will direct you to the site. It's part of another site at the moment and is far from completion, so some of the links are just there for looks.
    OG
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
  3. Just Bill

Message Count:
  4. OldenGray

Message Count:
    Thank you, folks, for the excellent leads. I could have spent several aggravating days searching for just the right combination of words that would lead me to what I needed. I thought that there would be some kind of plugin that would tie in to a vbulletin forum or a phpBB forum but just was not sure how to label it for the search engine. Also, as this is a cemetery, dignity is first and foremost. Solemnity is the watchword. Also, thank you, Bill, for the additional information. Most helpful. "Many hands make light work."

OG

Just checked out "Remedy" - an ideal template. Thanks again, Bill.
  5. Just Bill

Message Count:
    Glad we could help OldenGray. Let us know if there is anything else we can do.
  6. OldenGray

Message Count:
    The new WordPress version 2.7's admin panel is a lot different from the old one. Right now, it's not "user friendly." Looks like some relearning ahead. Also, did you know that you can get a plugin that will AUTOMATICALLY upgrade your previous version to 2.7? A heck of a lot easier than a manual install.
  7. Just Bill

Message Count:
    OG:

I like the new WP interface but I'm sure many others do not.
    Another way to automatically update is in cpanel. Just open cpanel and click on Fantastico/wordpress and you will see a link for auto update if you are still using old version. I did it to-day
  8. OldenGray

Message Count:
    Hi, JB
    I use iPower and they don't have cpanel. In fact, I don't know what they call their control panel. I think it's called "it." I have been using ipower for several years without too many problems. They only thing they lack is customer service. But, hey, the cost is right! This can be verified by a recent customer survey done by one of internet web newletters.

But, hey, speaking of the new WP 2.7, I can live with progress; but sometimes the things called progress need to slow down and let me catch up.

P.S. The new Joomla for Dummies is coming out on Jan. 23. AM I EXCITED, or what?