Music or Cinema style logos

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by z man, Aug 18, 2008.

1. z man

Message Count:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and very new to the whole world of logo creation as well. I started up a wiki site and I am wanting to add some really cool headers to pages that are music and cinema themed.

Right now I am using The Logo Creator v5.2 (Entertainment Pack and Web 2.0 Edition) and I love what I have been able to do. But with the ones that I am using, there are no logos that are Music (music notes, Guitar, Sax, Piano keys, etc.) or Cinema (Movie Reels, Movie Spotlights, Popcorn Tubs, etc.) themed.

How can I add or create these using Logo Creator?

Thanks for your help.

Seth
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    One really great way (easy and FREE too) is to use font dingbats for images. Anything you can do to text you can do to a dingbat (color, outline, use text effects, resize and etc.. With an image editor you can also custom paint them. For more info on painting dingbats post #5 in this thread. http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3961&highlight=educational theme

You simply download from a font site, unzip and install to the main font folder for your operating system.

You will find that you will need a good font viewer/ character map like The Font Thing (free) so you will know what letter produces what image. Dingbats come in an incredible range of themes from basic shapes to zoo animals
    http://www.download.com/The-Font-Thing/3000-2316_4-10038296.html

Just a sample of what is out there on various font sites.
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=720

For some odd reason dingbats don't work in the Mac version of TLC but will in most other applications, but can be imported as an image.
  3. z man

Message Count:
    Thanks, I will give that a try and see how it works for my needs. I'm curious though, do any of the Logo Creator software packages contain music or cinema/theater style logos? I won't mind buying one if it includes what I need, as I really like The Logo Creator's super high quality, highly polished graphics .

Seth
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    I can't recall any but I am just a highly addicted user of TLC and have no knowledge if there is something planned on in the future. For little more than what a single edition of TLC you could have a 1 year membership and download unlimited vector clipart without the restrictions so many clipart sites have

To keep them in TLC go to the TLC program files add a new folder to the "Logo Elements" file and copy or move your clipart there. When you clip on the image tab your folder will show up with all your custom clipart showing.

http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8232
  5. z man

Message Count:
    Well I went ahead and joined up for a year. But after looking through the available clip art, nothing really quite went with what I was wanting. But I did manage to get a page header to look close to what I was envisioning. I also included another header that I have on a subpage on my site.

The following attachments are what I came up with.:image07-1:

Attached Files:

6. KD-did

Message Count:
    Very impressive especially the second banner.
    What type of images were you looking for? I routinely make element images and I would be interested in hearing what would be of use to you.
  7. z man

Message Count:
    Thanks for the nice compliment on the banners I made, that means a lot.

Since the whole theme of my site is of home theater and music, I really needed some element images in that style. Things like a wavy flowing piano keyboard, some cool music notes in an abstract or flowing style, various musical instruments like a cool Jazzy Sax, baby grand, acoustic or electric guitar etc. Cinematic elements like dimensional movie reels with flowing film, movie tickets with a 3D style to them, flowing popcorn coming out of a popcorn tub, etc.

The ones that I found in the clip art were all flat and one dimensional. And being that most were solid black, they didn't work well as the page headers I was using were already dark. So some colorful, dimensional, high quality element images is what would have been perfect.

If you do create some music/cinema element images for TLC that would be so cool.

Just so you know why I need such high quality image elements, here's what my home page is:

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Seth
  8. 3DS

Message Count:
    Hey Seth,

I took some keys and put several twists on em for you, found some musical symbols and ungrouped them for you to arrange them in any way you see fit. I also have some film I created a while back you are free to use.

There are some great guitars around here somewhere uploaded by someone recently you may want to go find. I have some too but they may be the same ones. Couldn't find any cool vector art of flowing popcorn or saxophones yet, but I'll definitely keep my eye peeled for em.

Attached Files:

9. 3DS

Message Count:

Attached Files:

10. 3DS

Message Count:
    cool jazzy sax...

ok here's your "cool jazzy sax" made to order, so use it carefully and don't break it. Just another way of saying remember to use safe sax...ok I couldn't resist, sorry.

Attached Files:

• sax.png
      sax.png
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  11. z man

Message Count:
    Thank you very much for sharing those, I really appreciate it. And thanks for the humor as well.

I found some that I had already started to use before I saw yours, which you will see in the following Logo I made. But I went ahead and saved yours, and hope to use them soon.

[​IMG]

Seth
  12. KD-did

Message Count:
    Here is a sample of music elements that I am working on and I was wondering if they are more along the lines of what you were originally looking for or if you find them appealing.
  13. z man

Message Count:
    Yes that is definitely closer to what I was looking for. :image28: Can't wait to see all your creations once completed. Thanks!

Seth
  14. KD-did

Message Count:
    To make my elements more versatile I like to leave any shadowing up to the user and of course the adding of shadows will add more of a 3D dimension to the elements. Here is some text that I did for you to play with on different backgrounds in the same style. You might want to play with coloring them too.
  15. z man

Message Count:
    Very cool, thanks!
  16. z man

Message Count:
    Since I wasn't able to find just the right elements I wanted to make the page header, I imported some photos and came up with this.

[​IMG]
  17. 3DS

Message Count:
    looks very cool. but now i'm a little confused on whether it's a logo, header or a banner graphic that you need or trying to design.
  18. z man

Message Count:
    Well actually the header above is the finished product that I just added to a page on my Wiki site. Originally I was wanting to accomplish something similar using TLC's own elements. But since 3D elements of filmstrips, popcorn tubs, movie tickets, etc. are not available as a pack for TLC (at least not yet anyway), I needed to find something that would work for the desired look.

All the clip art I found online were all flat, black and white, cartoony, one dimensional designs. They didn't have that polished "grab you" kind of look I was aiming for.

As an example, when looking for movie ticket clip art, I found plenty of this:

[​IMG]

But what I wanted was much harder to find:

[​IMG]

If elements similar to the 3 dimensional ticket above were ever to become available as a pack for TLC, that would be so cool.

Seth
  19. 3DS

Message Count:
    I hear what your saying...

I hear what your saying. That's why many of us, including myself, will use Photoshop, Illustrator or any other programs to create what we need, then easily import them into TLC.

The talented people who designed the neato elements for us and included them in the packages are great, but they couldn't possibly make everything we would ever want and need to use for every project imaginable, lol. The ideas are endless as well as the art needed to create it.

I hope you are having fun with it and supporting your addiction to creativity like most of us self-proclaimed addicts are. Keep it up!
  20. KD-did

Message Count:
    Here is some tickets done totally using TLC..using mostly "Shape" (dingbat) font.The tickets could be customized in any color to go with your banner.