Martial Artists?

Discussion in 'Websites reviewed' started by Skitzo, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Skitzo

Message Count:
    I'm trying to get people to use this site I created.... any ideas? '

I've e-mailed tons of sensai's - however, many don't check their e-mails acount nor are half of them even active. (I don't understand why people have e-mails, advertise the e-mail on their site, and then never check said e-mail!!!)

www.martialartstournaments.ca
  2. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Well I know nothing about Martial Arts, But that is a DAMN fine site you have..WOW!
  3. cybrnetico

Message Count:
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    Skitzo, your email campaign maybe the wrong approach, consider that fact most will not read an email from someone they not know because it is considered a security risk and a known virus spreader. Your time maybe better spent becoming a participating member of martial art discussion boards . I am reasonably certain that the martial art industry has professional groups with discussion boards. Do not make your first post about your beautiful website. If allowed put a link in your username signature . Participate in a meaningful way following all the forum rules and as members read you posting your credibility grows and you will find the members coming to you.
  5. Lamo1graphic

Message Count:
    as always katie " good advice"

:image28:
  6. Just Bill

Message Count:
    I also agree with KD-did. But you may also want to consider bringing in some targeted traffic.

Checking your source code I found no meta tags (read keywords). A must if you want to attract SE traffic.

Also no RSS Feed. Highly recommended. When you install your RSS I recommend pinging some of the following sites. These all have a rank from 5-9.

del.icio.us Social Network
    vlib.org General directory
    vlib.org General directory
    answers.com Social Network
    digg.com Social Network
    dmoz.org General directory
    google.com/dirhp General directory
    myfeedz.com Social Network
    newsgator.com Social Network
    reddit.com Social Network
    stumbleupon.com Social Network
    technorati.com Social Network

There are many others but this should do for now.

An important thing to remember. As unbelievable as it may sound, nothing is instant on the internet. Patience, perseverance and work everyday will get you to your goal.
  7. Skitzo

Message Count:
    no meta tags?!?! Oh man... what happened to them? I distinctly remember entering them. It's always the last thing I do. UGH!

KD - Yep I know what you mean. But actually I am a member of quite a competitive gym and I've been competing for close to 18 years now. It's just that when I hand someone a card at a tourney - they think I'm selling something. This whole site is completely FREE. If they wish to advertise, that will cost; but the whole thing is run as a service to the Martial Arts community in my area.
  8. KD-did

Message Count:
    Due to the competitive nature that tournaments are built around I could see how could happen. Still joining forums that are in areas of your interest and being a participating member could pay of just by having your site in your signature line and having a location shown in your profile (like you do in this forum) is bound to catch the attention of members and guest from your vicinity even if they themselves are just lurkers.

I have watched this thread and it has viewed 92 times, that is 92 times your website could have been seen if you only has a link in your signature line.
  9. Cheekyman

Message Count:
    Seo

Hi,
    Trying to promote your website and page ranking on search engines is probably the hardest part in maintaining a website! I put my brothers website on the front page of Google in two months!
    It took hours! To input everything needed for success.

Successful marketeers have found various ways in promoting their products. One of which is to start a Blog! People love surfing the internet just on their own interests.
    Just Bill came up with the key to part of the solution! (Forums are great to for attracting 100's of surfers)
    You are wasting time sending emails person-to-person. Out of a 100 emails 90% will be deleted or go in as spam and your website will not be passed on.
    What better way to contact not hundreds but thousands of potential customers in one Blog! Create one template then paste it in every Social Networking website available. (All FREE)
    My friends in the US have informed me of the one of the Top Blog Websites which they have used in the past.
    Also Google's Tools for every website you create. Have Google verify your website for every search engine there is. Use its Statistics, diagnostics and management tools to promote your website to the extreme. There are other avenues to follow which would work extremely well at attracting 1,000's of surfers but I'll leave it at that for now.
    (Fact: The word "Tattoo" is one of the most sought after words on the internet!)

Have Fun
    Cheekyman :image28:

GEEK
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Someone with more than normal computer skills
  10. Wicked

Message Count:
    I used to be a competitor myself and know a little bit about that world. Not nearly as much as an 18 year veteran of the sport however I am certainly familiar with a few years. With 18 years you should be approx a brown belt or better in any style depending on how steady you have been for the 18 years. You should have contacts you've made along the way such as owners of other schools or organizations and so on. Handing out a card to a stranger at tourneys will not always get great results. Try sponsoring the next tournament that is at a scale you can afford depending on your budget. Announcements during the tournament will be thanking your sponsor ship and you would have a big banner made hanging somewhere, fliers lying around, etc etc. This much or more main stream type of approach may only be suitable for you if your site is ment to generate money. If you just offer free services then perhaps a different approach would be needed. It was always my experience that word of mouth is the best in the sport. Also go to other sites that you know are popular in the MMA community and start looking for advertising opportunities on their sites.
  11. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Yep you're correct; I'm a black belt in Hapkido and a black belt in Kyuk Toogi (Korean Kickboxing) - I lived in Korea for a couple years to up my training. I also studied TKD and Karate. I was promoted to brown belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu - but it's NOTHING like BJJ. So, I threw it all aside recently and have started Judo. I'm a white belt and loving it!! I don't have to teach, or judge, or be responsible for anyone else's performance but my own. Needless to say I have 4 broken toes at the moment :image16:

I am a member of numerous martial arts forums - BUT they are mostly American. The US sites are the biggest. I don't see to many Ontario sites and that is the area in which I am focused.

I'll keep pluggin' away. Thanks for the suggestions!!
  12. Wicked

Message Count:
    I hope it all works out and you keep in the direction you want to be in. You are going to have the broken toe problem a lot in Judo. I started and based my whole technique on Gaku Shu Do Ryu which is Brazilian jujitsu heavy but has a combination of other things like Hapkido, Judo, Karate, Asian Kickboxing, Greco Roman Grappling, Kung Fu, and some other styles implemented that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment. However the point being in that style I had broken toes on the regular bases. I simply lost count on how many times I broke each toe. I trained on broken toes a lot. I found just keeping them all wrapped in sports tape individually as much as possible helps prevent the breaks. However it takes some getting used to. It will actually effect your style at first. Anyway that helped me. I have been out of the sport now for a few years and I miss it everyday but my work, home, and my online ventures simply demands my time. I wish you the best.
  13. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Ya... I'm actually worried about being tentative when shooting in now; especially the leg sweeps (which at my low level is every second move). The school where I train is a combo Judo and BJJ. So the first hour is Judo - the second if BJJ with sparring. It's tough to move from striking to grappling and throwing - the whole philosophy is the exact opposite - DON'T create distance, DON'T strike - rather shoot in and takedown. Then in Judo I can't wrist, elbow or ankle lock.

Anyhow, toes are wrapped and I'm going back Wed.
  14. Wicked

Message Count:
    Keep at it. A lot of people under estimate judo. You will realize that all too many times that you have been in a spot in the past where a show boat non expected judo tactic would have been perfect. I had no huge respect for it as an outsider until I learned a portion of it. Its certainly holds its weight in the mma more than I thought.

I was never too keen on the wrist and ankle locks myself either. I have seen them work but there is too many parts of the move that need to be near perfect for it too work correctly. Having the proper hold for either is only have the battle. I always got the hold on and tried to torque it to a tap but without your legs doing the right thing with placement and pressure you have only a move that is uncomfortable. Its just one of those things you have to do over and over and over until your body does it by instinct rather than thinking. If I have to think about it I've lost it by then. Certainly not trying to offer advise to someone with more than triple my experience so please to not take offense. I just wanted to share my experience with it. There would be a thousand things you could teach me I am sure. This conversation makes me miss it all pretty bad.