making a living with logos and design

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by cis4life, Feb 20, 2006.

1. cis4life

Message Count:
    Who here does this full time?

Like using TLC as a full time job?

I was wondering how many artist here makes a living doing logos.
  2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi CIS.
    Thanks for the post.

I've heard from quite a few logo designers who use The Logo Creator to create for their customers! ... however, many of them don't use TLC exclusively. They also use Photoshop, Photo Elements and programs like 'xara' (xara.com) for enhancing the logos. I highly recommend using many tools for logo and web site creation.

The best thing to do; find a niche market and sell to them. For example; Vegitarians, or Wine Makers! Seriously! There may be few Vegitarian sites on the net ... but 'few' is relative! I just searched for the term and got 56 million pages! ... I bet some of them could use a logo or two :)

Hope this helps a bit CI!

- Marc
  3. cis4life

Message Count:
    agreed,

I currently use photoshop and fireworks for graphic manipulation. And flash for creating vector graphics.

I want to use tlc for building the base of the logos and go back and forth with my other programs to enhance them.

So I totally agree with that.

I was moreless wondering if ppl here was hobbiest or full blown business logo creators.

Cedric
  4. D RAT2

Message Count:
    Most of us do this for a hobby. A lot would love to do it for a living. But as I have discovered it takes a lot more talent than I have to achieve that goal.
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    Cedric, I personally feel it would be impossible to substain a business for any length of time solely on logo development for both the professional and the hobbiest.You most certainly would have to diversify into other things.
  6. blackknight

Message Count:
    Going professional

I for one am working toward, from being a hobbyist to taking my craft to a professional level. I work with a variety of software including TLC and they are all tools to me and they all provide certain effects that I wish to obtain in a design. I read all the trade journals, study, practice, read books on the subject; I have the forum and wonderful friends here that are willing to help and answer questions and provide inspiration. My website is near completion and I will use some marketing skills I have to promote my business. I realize that limiting myself to logos alone wouldn’t be the ultimate business decision to make for profitability but you have to start somewhere right? While earning some bucks, I have just enrolled in a 2 year computer graphic design course to become even better at my craft and to enhance my services by offering even more options to the customer. The software they train on is COREL12 and I am looking forward to that software to learn on… and again, Corel or anything else I use is only a tool to achieve an end result. Anyone that is interested in taking their craft to a professional level, I would certainly recommend TLC because that is where I developed my interest, and… you have to start somewhere right? All it takes is a burning desire, a solid commitment, and a dream and anything is possible.
    I absolutly enjoy designing logos and here is something I designed last night for practice using a variety of software. This is a design that I copied from another source to see if I could get similiar results and to learn from others. This design I found in a book authored by an excellant graphic designer himself, Dan Antonelli and this design was originally made by an artist by the name of Dave Correll. I completely revised this design and made it similiar but I did change alot of things; and again, this was to give myself a learning curve. Here it is.
    One of the things that I enjoy is making different types of panel designs to incorporate into my designs.

Attached Files:

7. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    WOW! Very eyecatching BK!! :WOW1:
  8. blackknight

Message Count:
  9. blackknight

Message Count:
    logo design books

Here is something I wanted to share with you all. These are shots of 2 logo books I have purchased lately. I have about 80 or more books on logos and the inspiration is great. This is the investment I made because I want to take the craft to the next level. I really owe alot to Marc and others in the forum.

Attached Files:

10. cybrnetico

Message Count:
    BK love that train logo. all you need is the wood sign to pin it up.
  11. D RAT2

Message Count:
    BK I love your logo style and the stuff you produce. Once you complete your schooling and learn how to do the same work in vector, you will be raking in the money!
    Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to your website.
  12. blackknight

Message Count:
    very much appreciated guys
  13. blackknight

Message Count:
    having fun again

This is one I did today

Attached Files:

14. cybrnetico

Message Count:
    Holy Smoke that is awesome, nice color combo, corel??
  15. blackknight

Message Count:
    some of the work up was done in Corel (a minor amount) pulled into realdraw pro and touched up in TLC and exported. Took about an hour.
  16. perfectjewel

Message Count:
    BK, some of those are really great! My personal favorites are 1, 4 and 5.
  17. MODCreations

Message Count:
    BK I totally agree with you on the book idea. I to am A graphic Artist./Business ower. I run my business out of my home. Doing Logos, Paint Schemes and T-shirt designs.Any schooling or Graphic material with help you. I Deal in mostly Motorsports related Art worked. I invested alot in racing high end clip art that will inhance my client volume and make my designs that more prfessional looking. Also In the works at purchaseing a heat transfer machine and a wide format vinyl lettering plotter to extend my business further. My point is you have to learn,research, pratice and aply those and you should be alright. Just my 2cents.