Logo Creator will not open TLC file

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by DaleHutch, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DaleHutch

Message Count:
    I have a of older logos that I want to freshen up. They all end in .tlc and when I try to open them I get a message from Logo Creator saying "Not a Logo Creator Document" or logo creator starts but the shows a blank canvas.

What can I do to open these files?

There were saved with I think v4

Thanks
  2. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    If you are trying to do this with the 6.0Beta version, it simply won't work at this time. The file structure of version 6.0 Beta is different when compared to earlier versions. IN earlier versions of TLC there are only 3 files associated with each logo. In version 6.0 Beta, there are 9 files associated with each logo. Version 1.2 was launched in July 2000. Version 3.0 launched in July of 2003-- I seem to recall a vastly different file structure between the two.

One thing I have been able to do in the past is to manually copy complete logo sets from version 4.0 (I'm pretty sure it was 4.0) to version 5.2, and use em. I've tried with version 6.0Beta (It even offers an option to "update logo sets").

It's not a matter of copying just one logo file, you have to copy all three originally associated with the logo you created, or from one of the original logo libraries.

In looking at the very first logo in the very first library (just by browsing the hard drive to the correct folder) I see three files associated with the logo: Logo_01_i, Logo_01_j, and Logo_01TLC-- copy all 3 files (This 3 file association applies up to version 5.2). Then paste the copied files into the appropriate logo library and they will even show up in the pull down menus. You need the other two files, as they are the logo thumbnails.

I think most a lot of folk may think, "hmmmmm, now just where the heck are my old logos? I know, I'll do a *.TLC search on my whole computer, and find em..."- not thinking of needing the other two files associated with each logo.

I tended to save logos I made in the past in one location I could never ever forget: my desktop. every time I thought I was saving just one logo file (the .TLC file) to save a logo, I actually was saving 3. Using this method of "Copy and pasting": you can easily move logos between sets, but you absolutely have to copy all 3 files associated with that logo, if not, the logos (whether ones you made , or the logo templates) simply won't work... GOOD LUCK!
  3. DaleHutch

Message Count:
    Thanks for the information!

That's my problem... I only have the .TLC files and not the other ones. I guess I will be creating new ones!

4. KD-did

Message Count:
    Move the .tlc file to your desktop and try opening it there. I have had some files that refused to launch if they are stored in the TLC program files saved as a template.
  5. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    The problem is that the previous TLC used a Director engine for the encoding/decoding of the .tlc files. If you look at the new .tlc files in Beta for v.6 TLC, you can see it's simple markup language. I think that Marc will have to code a conversion utility to convert old to new .tlc format. That will be the biggest of the hurdles.
  6. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    Not exactly :)

Lets look at TLC version 5.x vs version 6 Beta

v.5 used Director engine. I speculate when it generates a .tlc from a progect, it more than likely encodes the location where to look for the elements. It also generates 2 .jpg files, one a thumbnail for the library viewer and another larger for the viewer inside the application window. v.5 has the 3 files.

v.6 uses some type of markup engine. When you create a logo from scratch (lets say Sample_logo), it generates into the My Templates folder the following:
    • folder with the template name (Sample_logo in this case)
    • Sample_logo.tlc
    • Sample_logo_j.jpg (this is actually a .png renamed with the .jpg extension)
    • assets--GlacierPark.jpg
    • any elements that were used in the logos creation

The Sample_logo_j.jpg is used by the Application to show you a representation of the logo which you then click on to open the logo project. I have no idea what the assets--GlacierPark.jpg is used for. The Sample_logo I created only used a orb element and some text.

Currently v.6 can not read the v.5 .tlc file, it throws an error (fault (Client.CouldNotDecode) Error #1090) *The error might be different on other systems.
    The folder structure is also a bit different but that is mostly a non issue. It can easily be remedied with a installation script.
  7. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Yeah, I started to read up on that director engine--- way too complicated for me- but amazing atwhat it can do!
  8. TonyMyers56

Message Count:
    I am currently experiencing a loading problem with .tlc files that I have created with version 5.2 that I am still trying to open with the SAME version. I am now getting the following error with the templates that I have created:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
    Application Name:The Logo Creator v5.exe
    Application Version:3.6.1.0
    Application Timestamp:413ffc3a
    Fault Module Name:Font Xtra.x32
    Fault Module Version:10.1.0.11
    Fault Module Timestamp:413ffd3d
    Exception Code:40000015
    Exception Offset:00009712
    OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID:1033
    Additional Information 1:3f2c
    Additional Information 2:3f2c53f4730c10381d7513f39d98f51e
    Additional Information 3:a2e6
    Additional Information 4:a2e6825a26989b7fb8ed1f8f9342d811
    This just started the last couple of days. I have a clean computer (non-virus). Running an HP P6640F with Win 7 Home Prem AMD II X4 925 2.8Ghz with 8G ram 64bit OS
    What gives? Anyone?
  9. KD-did

Message Count:
    If I am reading this right you are trying to open a TLC with version 5 but the application was a version 3.6 file. The 3.6 had a different engine than version 5 and will not open a 3.6 file "(Application Name:The Logo Creator v5.exe
    Application Version:3.6.1.0)"
  10. TonyMyers56

Message Count:
    No, actually, the .tlc file was created with the ver 5.2 Logo Creator. I upgraded from the 3.6.1 to 5.1 and then to 5.2 and have always used the same .tlc files however, this particular file had been created within the past couple of months.
  11. Chris

Message Count:
    Hi Tony. Hope all is well with you and welcome to the forums.

Is this a file you could share with us and let one of us try and open it in our copy of TLC?

Thanks
  12. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Be sure to give a gander to to my response to the first question in this forum, it might help....
  13. KD-did

Message Count:
    Have you tried running as admin???