Logo Creator will not open TLC file

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by DaleHutch, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DaleHutch

Message Count:
    I have a of older logos that I want to freshen up. They all end in .tlc and when I try to open them I get a message from Logo Creator saying "Not a Logo Creator Document" or logo creator starts but the shows a blank canvas.

What can I do to open these files?

There were saved with I think v4

Thanks

2. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    If you are trying to do this with the 6.0Beta version, it simply won't work at this time. The file structure of version 6.0 Beta is different when compared to earlier versions. IN earlier versions of TLC there are only 3 files associated with each logo. In version 6.0 Beta, there are 9 files associated with each logo. Version 1.2 was launched in July 2000. Version 3.0 launched in July of 2003-- I seem to recall a vastly different file structure between the two.

One thing I have been able to do in the past is to manually copy complete logo sets from version 4.0 (I'm pretty sure it was 4.0) to version 5.2, and use em. I've tried with version 6.0Beta (It even offers an option to "update logo sets").

It's not a matter of copying just one logo file, you have to copy all three originally associated with the logo you created, or from one of the original logo libraries.

In looking at the very first logo in the very first library (just by browsing the hard drive to the correct folder) I see three files associated with the logo: Logo_01_i, Logo_01_j, and Logo_01TLC-- copy all 3 files (This 3 file association applies up to version 5.2). Then paste the copied files into the appropriate logo library and they will even show up in the pull down menus. You need the other two files, as they are the logo thumbnails.

I think most a lot of folk may think, "hmmmmm, now just where the heck are my old logos? I know, I'll do a *.TLC search on my whole computer, and find em..."- not thinking of needing the other two files associated with each logo.

I tended to save logos I made in the past in one location I could never ever forget: my desktop. every time I thought I was saving just one logo file (the .TLC file) to save a logo, I actually was saving 3. Using this method of "Copy and pasting": you can easily move logos between sets, but you absolutely have to copy all 3 files associated with that logo, if not, the logos (whether ones you made , or the logo templates) simply won't work... GOOD LUCK!

3. DaleHutch

Message Count:
    Thanks for the information!

That's my problem... I only have the .TLC files and not the other ones. I guess I will be creating new ones!

4. KD-did

Message Count:
    Move the .tlc file to your desktop and try opening it there. I have had some files that refused to launch if they are stored in the TLC program files saved as a template.

5. KD-did

Message Count:
    If I am reading this right you are trying to open a TLC with version 5 but the application was a version 3.6 file. The 3.6 had a different engine than version 5 and will not open a 3.6 file "(Application Name:The Logo Creator v5.exe
    Application Version:3.6.1.0)"

6. TonyMyers56

Message Count:
    No, actually, the .tlc file was created with the ver 5.2 Logo Creator. I upgraded from the 3.6.1 to 5.1 and then to 5.2 and have always used the same .tlc files however, this particular file had been created within the past couple of months.

7. Chris

Message Count:
    Hi Tony. Hope all is well with you and welcome to the forums.

Is this a file you could share with us and let one of us try and open it in our copy of TLC?

Thanks

8. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Be sure to give a gander to to my response to the first question in this forum, it might help....

9. KD-did

Message Count:
    Have you tried running as admin???

10. retired911

Message Count:
    Hello all. I am in need of help.
    I cannot open any .tlc files that I've made since I had to re-do my laptop. I have 5.1 and 6.8 TLC installed and neither will open the files and I have tried it in admin also and nothing. I could use any help you can provide.

11. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    You must first open the logo creator, then the logo. Please pretend you don't even see the .tlc file.

snginc likes this.
  12. retired911

Message Count:
    No good, I tried that in both versions. In 5.1 all I can see is the .tlc file and I try to open it and the program just sits there. In 6.8 I can see the .tlc and it does not open it and I can try and open the .jpg or .png and a .tlc and nothing there either. This is too weird and I have several logos that I made so this is disappointing to say the least.

13. retired911

Message Count:
    within the app, I am going to the folder (s) where I have my logos. There is no way just to go to and not open a folder within the program and not try to open a file. In this case I am trying to open a file and the error says, " Not a Logo Creator Document." and then it list's the file location.

14. gunsmoke

Message Count:
    Hey Retired911, try this out ... If you are on a Windows machine. If on a MAC, well . . .

Start with TLC shut down!

Using the latest version of TLC, the first time you started the program it asked you to name a file ( actually a save folder location). Did you do that? If so, go to Windows explorer and copy the 'folders' with your logos to that directory that you created when first running TLC. That is your working folder. Only logos created with v6.x will work. Any logos from v5.x and earlier will not load.

Now start up TLC. On the bottom left of the screen it asks you to 'Select a Template Set'. Click on that, then click on the folder you created when first running TLC. You'll should see your logos. Any that are compatible with the current version of TLC.

If you do not see your logos there, you are probably going to have to re-create them in the current version of TLC. Or keep trying to load them in the older version. V5.x logos are not compatible with v6.x of TLC. Gcunueo2 explained that. If you are trying to load a v5.x logo into TLC v5.x and it just doesn't work. Same thing. You'll probably have to re-create it. Not sure what could have gone wrong there, because it should work.

Let us know how it goes though. Take deep breaths. We'll try and get it sorted out . . .

15. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    I think Retired911 is trying to use the same skills and methods he (or she!) was used to using in version 5.2 / 5.1 / 5.0 in version 6.8, and the methods, and file naming conventions used in version 5.2 simply will not work in version 6.8.

I've just done some experiments with version 5.2 and what retired911 says about the TLC file is essentially correct, but it only applies to version 5.2

Versions 5.2, 5.1, and 5.0 all have the option of SAVE AS and SAVE AS TEMPLATE. In those versions only the use of a file with a "TLC" file extension is used when saving a working logo, and is what is used to locate the logo when you to reopen it--- which is just the opposite beginning with version 6.0 .

In the earlier versions using SAVE AS A TEMPLATE created all the same stuff, that the new version does (all the various parts in a folder) but when choosing a name for the logo, you created a name which automatically added the TLC file extension. That name, with the tlc file extension added (for example: mylogo.tlc) is what is used to locate the folder with the contents of the logo, but only in versions 5.2 and earlier.

Beginning with version 6.0, that naming convention (using a file name with a TLC extension) went away. Why? The use of the document directory was implemented.