Just can't win all 3 engines..

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Wicked, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Wicked

Message Count:
    Well when I first started my attack to reach the high spot on the first page on all 3 major search engines I was very impressed with my results.. The way SEO works is beat your way to the top using your chosen (white hat) methods in my case. Then you find out how it worked out.. Well for me it turned out pretty good..

Using a pretty common search phrase I took pg 1 listing 1 on yahoo and msn but was stuck on the 3rd page of google. I was impressed with this. However Search Engines change and you have to change tactics as well. Not only does the search engines change your competition will be gunning to out do you.

As I rode the wave of algotherium change and competitor gunning things change just a little bit but not much.. Now I am on the 1st page of google 3rd listing and still the #1 listing on yahoo. However I on msn I stopped looking after 6 pages I think after being #1 before. Do I chalk up the the google increase as a win compared to the loss of listing on msn? I mean I still have 2 out of the 3 major engines.. I just really thought I was on the way to dominating all 3 as I watched the increasing trend.

Any thoughts? Should I make changes and move things around at the risk of losing my already good position on yahoo and google?
  2. MasterDesign

Message Count:
    don't keep us hanging mate...
    MD
  3. Wicked

Message Count:
    the secret phrase is out.

"Cheap Downloads"
  4. Wicked

Message Count:
    I just discovered that I have the #1 listing in the Dogpile search engine as well.. However the link to is one of my affiliates link.. Lucky affiliate to get there affiliate link the number one listing on a search engine and then get commission if someone buys..
  5. Wicked

Message Count:
    Of course it is. Thats what the thread is about. Care to add?
  6. Salman

Message Count:
    Hi Wicked,

I've researched the figures and found that Google has 32% of users. Yahoo has 25%, MSN has 15% and other search engines carry the rest. In my opinion I would concentrate on optimizing for Google and Yahoo. It may be that the algorithms for MSN have changed...and you may rank better the next time around. Like all SEO time will tell.
  7. Wicked

Message Count:
    Hey thanks for that figure Salman. Very helpful info. I figured that was the order of importance but did not know those percentages.
  8. xprt007

Message Count:
    According to statistics in several PC & Internet related publications here in Europe or probably the rest of the world, Yahoo & Bing or MSN play a much smaller roll in the search engine market than Google, which has no serious rival.

This graph seems to suggest that too: http://gs.statcounter.com/#search_engine-ww-monthly-200809-200909
  9. Wicked

Message Count:
    Thanks xprt.. I now hold the 1st page 7th listing on google. 1st page and typically first listing on the others. I can't imagine google ever having any real competition. I am not a huge yahoo fan but I was surprised to seem them so low on the graph.
  10. laughingbird

Message Count:
    I agree with Frank.
    SEO is so very important.

I've been using a terrific suite of SEO tools lately:
    www.link-assistant.com

Check them out. Made for both Mac and Windows.
    (I'm not an affiliate, just a happy user)

One of the my websites The Business Card Creator was running around 14th or 15th for ages. After using these tools, I'm now #4 on Google for the keyword Business Card Creator - and #1 on Yahoo for Business Card Software - I'm working my way up the ranks on Google. Hope to be #1 by the end of October 2009. We'll see.

Really important this SEO stuff.