Joomla vs Wordpress

Discussion in 'Joomla and other Content Management Systems (CMS)' started by Ohiosweetie, Apr 4, 2008.

1. latenights

Message Count:
    Joomla 1.5 is easy to install

Hi Olden,

I have been playing with CMS's for a while, and more recently Drupal 6 (which is great too) and now what used to be Mambo, is now called Joomla. My hosting server is Linux with cPanle (most are) and they have this great thing called Fantastico Deluxe intaller. You just choose Joomla 1.5 from the list and it goes off and creates a MySQL database. and you dont have to do anything. Now this is all assuming you have a hosting that gives you flexibility to control the site.

Next you just open up the site url and the index.php runs and loads a starting page which you can modify and play with till you are comfortable.

I found a great little tutorial on www.siteground.com or freejoomlas.com.

Finally, if you want absolutely free hosting (no ads or banners) check out http://www.x10hosting.com/ I set up Joomla there, but its only Joomla 1.0. But hey, it's 100% free apart from your time to learn it.

Right now I am working hard on a Drupal site and between the pair of them I suspect we may just be working with the building blocks that are going to shape the future of Internet.

Soon I will post my CMS site when I am happy with it. I already modified a TLC template logo for it

Hope it helps.
    /latenights

2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Thanks for this Latenights!
    I'd love to see the site when you're ready to post it!

Marc

3. prototype66

Message Count:
    OK people....curveball time!
    I know exactly zero, zilch, nothing AND notta about website stuff at ALL! Totally alien even reading all of these posts, glazed over eyes and all!
    How or where would someone like me even begin to learn how to utilize these (seemingly) fantastic business tool to expand my business in the future? I do strictly logo design (which seems to be doing ok for a new startup only one year) but I would love to expand and even improve my own site . Keep in mind I am no spring chicken so learning totally new foreign material with no experience what so ever may make my head fall right off and explode! Should I stick with logo design only or give it a go?
    everyones opinion is very valuable to me so let me have it!

4. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    rofl! My opinion is.... you're hilarious!!

5. latenights

Message Count:
    Prototype, nice business concept

Dear Prototype,

I thought this was a serious request for help, until I saw your web sites and business concept.:image20: You can teach me some things about web construction. If you redid it in Drupal or Joomla, (CMS) rather than static web pages, then it would be so much easier to maintain. Plus it would be 100% SEO friendly: without doing anything the bots would find your site and index you. Maybe that will help people find you. :image16-1: I don;t think anyone in this business is too old to learn a new thing.

Nice to see we are not too old to have a good laugh at ourselves at our own expense! Humor keeps us young.

Cheers from a 50+ in the French Caribbean

/latenights

6. prototype66

Message Count:
    You know I think I will try to learn the Joomla or Drupal. I actually didn't do my own site but I also have no way to change it. I have to have the host do the changes. I truely am in the dark as far as web building! lol I would love to apply my artistic skills to web design but I really don't have one single iota of how they work!
    I guess I better hit the books!
    Any honest advice on where to start learning? I got a couple of books on dreamweaver before and couldn't get passed chapter 1!
    Ooofa!
    HELP!
    Where is my Yoda?

7. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Web site creation for beginners

Hey Proto.

Good for you for stepping up and taking a chance on this crazy web creation thing. I think it's valuable knowledge to have in your arsenal.

Start off slow. The whole process may take you a good 6 months or so ... so be patient.

I recommend checking out a product called NetObjects Fusion.
    They've come a long way since I first used that software (way back in 1998!). Check out the movie tutorial they've got on the site.

Basically, NetObjects Fusion lets you create a web site with pre-designed templates. It'll get you used to the concept of site creation.

At the same time, get "HTML for Dummies" (hey, these "dummies" books are great! I once bought Texas Hold'em for dummies and won $80 my first time out!)

The above will start you off nicely.
    Good luck! And keep asking these questions here in the forum. :)

Marc

8. latenights

Message Count:
    Marc,

Great looking site. If you did not say it was Joomla, I would never have known.

Your site sets the bar quite high.

Cheers from the French Caribbean

/latenights

9. Wicked

Message Count:
    Can not believe that I did not take a look at this thread sooner... I just got my interest sparked yesterday and sit down and made a future business plan for of course a new business. I chose to use Joomla when I do attack the idea. I have seen some astounding Joomla templates and typically catch on to new things pretty quickly so I hope this learning curve ball everybody keeps talking about is not one that is out of my reach.. Just as a quick overlook of the two CMS's I think they both pack a punch but Joomla appealed more to me for its flexibility.. So Joomla though I am unexperienced with it gets my vote as of now..