Image Transparent Background

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself!' started by bhask, Nov 11, 2007.

1. bhask

Message Count:
    I just purchased the logo creator for my new Mac. In creating a logo, I'm having a problem importing images (clip art style) with a transparent background. I have tried GIF with transparent background and PNG using Photoshop.

Unfortunately, this has not worked. The white background on one image overlaps and blocks out any other overlapping image.

How can I import images with transparent backgrounds that can overlap each other.

Thanks,

Bill
  2. 3DS

Message Count:
    Hi Bill,

You have Photoshop, that's good. Now let's learn how to remove the background yourself and make it "transparent".

Like the saying "There's more than one way to skin a cat" (whatever that means), this also goes for photoshop with it's many great tools.

I'm not sure which version you have, so I'll try to give two examples (newest & older):

1. Open your file (.gif or .jpeg) in Photoshop; or drag & drop into work area;

2. Open your "layers" palette on right side of screen (F7); duplicate the origional layer (either right click menu on the layer "Duplicate layer" or drag layer down into the "Create a new layer" icon below in that section), now you can manipulate on a duplicate layer while preserving thew origional; you may also click the "eye" icon on origional layer to turn it invisible-this will make it easier to work on the duplicate layer;

3. If you have CS3 (maybe CS2), choose your "Quick Selection Tool" (W); if you have older version "Magic Wand Tool" (W);...

(tip: notice that many tools that have a little "triangle" in the corner of the icon, means that there are several hidden tools or variations of it-hold down on it to reveal & release to select them)

...if you have the "Quick Selection" just click hold and select around all the white area of white (background); if you've over-selected any of the image, just goto top area and select the "Subtract from selection" and do the same for the area you'd like to unselect (not delete), or go back to "Add to selection" and repeat as nessesary;

...for "Magic Wand" tool (W), works very similar only you may have to take notice of the "Tolerance" adjustment for tool - since this is a one-click-at-a-time tool; notice settings above on top area when tool is selected, try using settings of 1-10 for pure white backgrounds is my experience - start with 5 to start, click white area to see how much of white area or background is selected or "Undo" (Ctrl+Z) try a higher number upto 10 (or higher if needed) and click to select area again...

4. I also use the several different "Lasso Tools" (L) (Lasso & Polygonal Lasso tools) available to select and unselect images and parts of images too, use same method of "Add to selection" & "Subtract from selection" as above; toggle between these tools for all versions of Photoshop;

5. When you are satisfied with what you want to delete, now delete. Presto you see no BG (background) and just the image you want to keep. As long as you still have the origional layer selected as "invisible" as mentioned above, you should see no background, and time to save your work;

6. Now you want to either "Save As" .png or you can also use a great option "Save Optimized As" (older version) or "Save for Web and Devices" (newer version), to save an "optimized" version of your .png. .jpeg or .gif images for website use. Just be sure that "transparent" checkbox is checked before you save it this way.​

Of course there are other tools in Photoshop to get the job done. There is the "Pen Tool" to use to trace over your images and select or cut them out, but this takes some skill and a little practice. Then there is the "Extract" tool found in the "Filters" Menu. Different topic for a different day, lol.

Well I hope this helps and you tinker around with the selection tools to get your desired transparent image. You are now armed with the know-how to prepare your own images for The Logo Creator or other projects.

Good luck.
  3. bhask

Message Count:
    Removing background from images

Thanks for the advise. Just a few simple steps, once I understood your directions, and removing the background was simple.

Thanks for the help,

Bill
  4. 3DS

Message Count:
    You're welcome. Glad I was able to help. Yes, even though my instructions seemed a little long in writing, it is actually only a few simple steps. And after doing it a few times on some of your images, it becomes a simple & ez task.

Now go have fun creating stuff!