I want some car related things added

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by DennyW, Dec 4, 2008.

1. DennyW

Message Count:
    I am an old car mechanic, and would like to have some car related things to design in the logos...:image28:
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    Denny, a great place for free images of cars, trucks, motorcycles and tools are dingbats. Dingbats can be found on font sites. There is at least a dozen auto/transportation fonts available and some aren't even classified as dingbats but are spread between through out all the pages of fonts.
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=721
  3. DennyW

Message Count:
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. To give you the basic idea how dingbats work see attachment...Hitting a key on your keyboard will produce an image instead of a letter . You download, unzip and install them to your system font folder. Dingbats behave EXACTLY as fonts do and all the options you can do to text you can do dingbats. Color, use all the built in text effects in TLC, outline etc. The added bonus is that dingbats are like free vector art never an unwanted background to deal with.

To save you time and energy you will find a font viewer/ character map is a must. It will show you if the dingbat used upper and lower case, just lower case or just upper case. For a PC you can't beat The Font Thing and it is free and available at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html

It works with XP even though it doesn't say so
  5. DennyW

Message Count:
    Thanks KD, I'm working with this right now figuring it out. Thanks very much for the help. :image28:
  6. DennyW

Message Count:
    KD, please don't think me to dumb on this, but, I downloaded the fonts. Downloaded the viewer, which is a nice setup. But, how do I get a font into my logo design ? :image10-1: I feel dumb at this point.
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
  8. DennyW

Message Count:
    I'm sorry KD, but I just can't get this to work. I installed the fonts in my system fonts. Is there something I need to change to the end of the font name ? I can only see them in the viewer I down loaded. I do not have a folder in TLC like that, (preview in TLC in the system font folder), or I'm not doing something correctly. :image10:
  9. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    DW if your using a PC and not a mac, You want to install the fonts in your C:\windows\fonts...after you have done that you will see them show up in your systems fonts on TLC, Does this help?

If you installed them , make darn sure they are not in their own folder in the windows Font folder, If that is the case then you are going to have to copy them over to your windows \Fonts and erase that folder.
  10. DennyW

Message Count:
    Thanks worlock for the additional help. It's my fault I didn't mention my system. Yes, it's a PC, with windows xp pro. I unzipped the downloaded fonts into a folder. Then, installed them to the C:/windows fonts. That didn't work, so I also put them in the system32 fonts folder. I can see them there, and in the windows C fonts folder. But, I do not know how to get them into the TLC. I have 2 pictures here that I captured of my screen showing this. It's probably really simple, but I'm stumped on this. If I can't put the pictures in here, I will have to upload them to photo bucket then here, so it will take a little bit.

Attached Files:

11. KD-did

Message Count:
    When I said "preview" I was describing (when you choose system fonts in TLC) what you usually see ....the font name and a sample of that the font/dingbat looks like.

TLC will only use fonts in the main Windows FONT folder. It will see fonts in secondary folders but cant use them
  12. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    reboot your computer then when its finished rebooting, open up TLC add a text, then look at your system fonts selector, and choose it then select your installed font you want to use, They will show up! and then you can use them now!
    Also see this post:
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8635
  13. DennyW

Message Count:
    OH...I got ya now. Yes, I see what I'm doing wrong. I'll be right back after re-boot. That slipped my mind totally. You have to have the text there before you can change it.

Yes KD, I have a desktop PC.
    Be right back. I really appreciate the help also.
  14. Chris

Message Count:
    Hey DennyW would you be interested in testing something for me? It deals with vehicles and is for TLC.
  15. DennyW

Message Count:
    worlock, and KD. Thanks VERY MUCH for the help. Once worlock mentioned what he did, the light bulb went off, and bang, I got it. guys are great !!! I know I have to separate the combo fonts, but they are all there, and showing up now.

ps: The funny thing is, I have done this more than once. My mind was just on Blank mode....

Sure Chris, what do you have ?

Attached Files:

16. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Your welcome, Sometimes you just have to take a different approach to the subject :D
  17. Chris

Message Count:
    I have a TLC add on pack I designed that has 3 automobiles, 1 motorcycle in it. It is far from finished but you seem like a good person to test it out for me. Would you like to? I can setup a download link for you to download it if you want to. Don't worry it is a self installing file as long as you have the latest version of TLC.
  18. DennyW

Message Count:
    Sure. I do a lot of pictures, avatars, animated gifs, and have been helping with logos for my friends sites. I recently started up my own automotive forum, which I probably shouldn't put the link here since it doesn't relate to TLC. I made the logo for that also. I enjoy working with pictures and things. I just turned 60, and the computer is about all I have left. The reason for the automotive forum, to help teach those that want to learn. :image28:

Here's the link to that, which you can remove. I just thought you guys here might want to take a look.
    http://dennyscartalk.phpbb3now.com/index.php?sid=a5ef6f1c2748e88817574f07fb3eab4b

Oh, I have version 5.1.
  19. Chris

Message Count:
    Check your PM box for a download link. Any questions just ask me.
  20. DennyW

Message Count:
    Ok Chris. Here is my first one. I'm partial to Mustangs. I have a couple side notes, which I can pm you on for this. I think it would be a benefit.

Attached Files: