How to make your own mask(s)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Flotsom, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Flotsom

Message Count:
    As it turns out ... thank you Katie & Shelly, and everyone that inspired me to work on this ... it's relatively easy to make your own mask using your system fonts dingbats!

1. open a new logo from the File Menu.

2. color your canvas just enough darker than pure white to make a white object stand out. (I like the gray in the row just above full black)

3. choose insert new text element from the Modify Menu.

4. then choose Format>System fonts and select one of your dingbat fonts, and type one of your choosing into the element setter, and select use this text.

Your dingbat now appears by itself on the canvas.

5. Close the Text Attributes panel by clicking done, and open the Color control panel, choose solid, and if white is not selected by default, choose white.

Your dingbat is now colored white on your off-white colored canvas. If you can't see your dingbat, color your canvas darker by shades until you can ... no more than just what you need to see the dingbat.

6. From Export choose PNG, do NOT use Transparent ... you won't get the results you want.

You have just made a mask! To use it simply import the image to TLC, use remove white backing from the Modify Menu and mask away. Now, if you want you can save the finished mask as a Transparent PNG (that would be if you want to use the mask again without first having to remove white backing again ... probably a good idea!)

NOTE: BEFORE you export your masked object, be SURE to color the field of the mask white or you won't be able to get rid of it when you bring the finished product back into TLC!
    :D

Enjoy!

:TLC ROCKS
  2. MasterDesign

Message Count:
    Awesome matey! That is exactely, what i was looking for, this should be one of those standard tutorials :35:
    Thanx for sharing your knowledge.
  3. perfectjewel

Message Count:
    That's incredible. Thanks!
  4. Ultimate

Message Count:
    That is some great creativity! Great tip thanks
  5. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Credit Where Credit is Due

Insufficient credit was given in my original post of this tip ... "How To Make Your Own Mask(s)" ... and guilt is welling up strong and healthy :spaz:

The desire to use, and later develop, my own masks comes as a direct result of a plethora of work posted by Shelly. There are too many posts to point to any one, just look around ... her work is almost omnipresent, and all of it inspiring!

The idea of using dingbats as possible masks was suggested by Katie, when I had showed her some early attempts using AppleWorks Draw & AppleWorks Paint. Both of those methods left undesirable 'lines' around the edges of the mask. Katie also has far too many posts to point to any one, you'll just have to look ... can't hardly miss those eyes! :bedtime:

The ability to accomplish it goes to alot of people, but again Katie and Shelly get the most credit for their patience in teaching about art and graphics in particular. Here's an overdue 'thank you' from student to teachers ... :apple: (and even this is courtesy of Katie and her smilies!)

The desire/decision to post the successful results is all creditable to all of you, and your response to the post confirms it.

Thanks again to all.
  6. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Uhh ... just found a small glitch in this technique after downloading some new dingbats ... turns out for TLC to use them, they must be outline fonts! Looking into this to discover how to tell one from another. :)
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
    Flot, must be a MAC thing and remember computers will lie...and will make excuses when there are problems.

check this out http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328527.html
  8. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Entirely possible Katie. Thanks for the link to adobe.com. I'm trying to remember where I found these fonts ... I think it was at one of the sites you posted, and I noticed they offered a choice of Mac fonts and Windows fonts, so of course I chose the Mac fonts.

All of them installed okay, and work fine in my word processor, but one of them wouldn't work in TLC. When I would try to select it from System Fonts, I would get the message " not an outline font". Not a huge issue and so I didn't much worry about it at the time.

Later, I went to the dingbat site you posted and saw several (translate 1000's!!) that I wanted, and downloaded 4. Of the 4, not one would load into TLC when selected from System fonts ... always the same message (see thumbnail of screenshot).

Interestingly, 2 fonts that originally came with my word program (Webdings, Zapfdingbats) work fine in TLC, however Hoeffler text ornaments also gets the "not an outline font message", and a couple of the fonts that I can access in my word processor don't appear in System Fonts at all. Funny I never noticed that before.

I will continue to research this. As no one using a PC has posted anything so far, it probably is (as you said) an Apple thing. :eeyore:

Ain't life fun? :D
  9. KD-did

Message Count:
    Check your font folder and see if per- chance either the read me files or if the dingbats had a choice of format in the download.

I never install directly to my systems font folder...I always unzip and send just the files to a folder I name "font holding" and then move them into my system font folder.When I double click on the font file Irfanview will give me a preview or let me know if it is damaged.
  10. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Nope nothing on format options in the readme file, just info regarding the commercial use of, etc..

I've been downloading the zipped package to my desktop, unzip/stuff and read the goodies inside, and then proceed with installation. I'll try reloading one manually into the system fonts folder and see if that makes a difference, but as I say, they work just fine in the word processor, they just won't select from System Fonts menu in TLC, which I now notice does not offer all of my system fonts, and won't use all of the ones it does.

I PM'd Marc just to see how this varies from his Mac, and I will post what I discover as I discover it :). Meanwhile, if you see any other info defining what an "outline" font is as opposed to something else, let me know. I didn't know there were differences before.
  11. Gravy

Message Count:
    Some pc info here,

It is not just an apple thing. I have several fonts that I found and installed on my pc which give the same error message in TLC. Furthermore only a few of those fonts will work in any other program for windows on my pc. I attributed it to either a bad download or copyright issues and occasionally clean out the ones that won't work for me, beyond that I have'nt given them much thought.
  12. KD-did

Message Count:
    I never install directly to my systems font folder...I always unzip and send just the files to a folder I name "font holding" and then move them into my system font folder.When I double click on the font file Irfanview will give me a preview or let me know if it is damaged.

Plus some XP users have a limit of 500 fonts, after that they will get an error msg or time out.
  13. steveb

Message Count:
    Flot
    I read your masking tutorial with interest. My question is are they true mask or they not possible in TLC. I mean by true masks, if you have a background colour and they add another layer, if the maskmis applied on top the bottom colour would show through the middle image?

Hope I have got that right!!

Steve
  14. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Hi Steve!

Not absolutely sure that I understand your question, but if you are asking if a background color under/behind the mask will show through ... the answer would be no. You could color the mask to match the background color, which I think would give you the effect that you are looking for, but again I'm not sure if I have fully understood your question.

Better try me again ... :lol:... and I'll have a cup of coffee and get my "thinking" cap firmly in place. :D
  15. steveb

Message Count:
    Hi Flot

You have got the idea of what I was asking. On a true mask if a mask is placed on top of a image the background colour would show through. As you said the only way to do this is colour the mask.

Appreciate your time and quick reply

Steve
  16. robinoz

Message Count:
    Thanks for the tutorial! Too easy

Cheers
  17. Wicked

Message Count:
    Ive have never used this concept.. Anybody have an example of what can be done using this?
  18. Flotsom

Message Count:
    I used masks to shape the toes on this penguin. And although it was a very long time ago I think I also used a mask to help shape the beak. This whole image was created soley with the Logo Creator and used (obviously) to make birthday cards.
    Hope this helps.
    -Layne

Attached Files:

19. Wicked

Message Count:
    I dont understand what a mask does though.. I dont know what I am looking for.
  20. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Ah ... a mask hides things. I haven't looked at my tutorial in quite some time, but I don't think I gave any examples of how to use them. Shelley may have in places. But to answer your question, the mask (done correctly) is an invisible "mat" or "shield" that hides parts of things. I used pointy arrow shaped masks to hide parts of the element I made the feet from in order to create the "toes" effect. In other words, the element that makes up the penguins foot was just round at the end. So I laid the little pointy masks over to hide parts of it giving the appearance of individual toes. Does that make any sense?