How many Joomla folks are in this Forum

Discussion in 'Joomla and other Content Management Systems (CMS)' started by pdekoker, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pdekoker

Message Count:
    Are there many joomla fans in here?

I have been using joomla since the mambo split and like to joomla chat.
  2. laughingbird

Message Count:
  3. pdekoker

Message Count:
    Nice Sites Marc. If you ever have joomla questions feel free to keep me in mind.

I am one of the founders of JoomaChicago.com. We started having expo's to provide Joomla training. We will be expanding to include other CMS's soon. The last one was in Denver called CMS Expo. Are next CMS expo will be in Chicago in May. If you get a change go to one of the expo's and look me up. The connections you make are extremely valuable.

Nice to meet you and other joomla lovers too.

Oh yeah, if you our anyone are in Chicago the second Wednesday of every month you are invited to come to our free monthly user group meeting. A free lunch is provided along with free training. Advanced registration is required. We have to cut off at 60 people every month due to the size of our room. Register at www.joomlachicago.com.

If you feel it is appropriate I will put the above in a thread.
  4. OldenGray

Message Count:
    I'm a big Joomla fan and studying the system. I've already installed in on a website I own, but, for the time being, just fooling around with it to see how it works and what I can do with it. The new Joomla For Dummies is coming out in January and that book is already on order. In spite of the title, and if the WordPress for Dummies is any indication of its quality, these books (Joomla and WP) are a must-have for anyone looking into CMS.

I envy you being in an area like Chicago where you can find a group of Joomla Junkies. Down here, if you tell someone you're learning Joomla, you get a glazed stare. However, the word is out there that I am into Joomla and, if I can get two or three folks willing to share, maybe we can get a group going like yours.

Best regards
    Olden
  5. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Hi,

I teach computer science and Business Tech Applications to grade 11 and 12's. Would Joomla based sites be an assett for my business class? I have them make O/S commerce websites; but if there are other options out there I'd love to explore them. However, I know NOTHING of Joomla or even how it works.
  6. OldenGray

Message Count:
    I am a big fan of Joomla and I would highly recommend this CMS to you. Especially for 11th and 12th grades examining the possibilities of this technology for business use. The nice thing about this system is that no knowledge of html or php is necessary. My own personal feeling about both WordPress to a certain extent and Joomla is that these types of programs are the wave of the future and offer infinite possibilities for business and communications professionals. In short, the wide variety of modules you can plug in to Joomla will make it literally dance to any tune you want to play. I just received the newly published Joomla for Dummies and after reading a few chapters, the language alone would be suitable for the grade levels you teach. Also, as you know, Joomla is open source and is free to load on your server or you can create a virtual server on your own system which would be ideal for class demonstration purposes. Good luck on establishing the course curriculum for this content management system. I would like to hear more as you progress with your students.
  7. Skitzo

Message Count:
    Sounds really promising... Now, is there some sort of video modules my students and I can look at? I don't have 5 seconds to look at anything new - writing exams in 3 days time.

I think I saw something on youbube - but is there a video tutorial course out there? I use one for php basics.
  8. OldenGray

Message Count:
    A Google search will turn up lots (and I do mean LOTS!) of Joomla video tutorials, including the YouTube vid you mentioned.
  9. Dutch Treat

Message Count:
    Hi joomla fans,

I am also a joomla (rookie) fan.
    I'm using joomla now for about 1 year.
    It's a great CMS .

My first joomla based site:
    http//:www.eextahal.com (dutch site)

Greetz,
    Martin.
  10. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Martin!

Welcome to the forum!

Great use of the software you've pointed us to!
    Thanks for letting us take a look.

Yes, Joomla is overall the best there is for designing a site.
    It makes it very easy to change and move content.

Post any tricks or tips you've learned over the years Martin!
  11. Dutch Treat

Message Count:
    Hi Marc,

Thanx for your reply.

When I have tips or tricks I post them here on the forum, or when somebody has a question....ask me!

ps. my english writing is not that good, sorry.......talking is no problem ;)

Greetings from Holland.
    Martin.
  12. Daryl

Message Count:
    Hi,

I see the threads a bit old but never to late for a Joomla fan! I've been using Joomla for several years now. I have built a few and host a few. It's great, and would be excellent for Student's to learn how to make a component for the content management system.

It could be part of an overall code writing course, first learn some PHP and then test it all out on a Joomla component idea.

Regards
  13. jeff21up

Message Count:
    Hi
    Also a huge Joomla fan, 3 years using joomla
    Jeff :image28: