Having trouble with saving templates

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by @pett, May 10, 2012.

1. @pett

Message Count:
    Hello,
    I have the Logo Creator v5, V5.1 and v6
    I am having a problem with the saving part of the software. When I go to save what I have created I go to file and save as my templates. When I try to open that particular template again to edit it is there in my templates but will not open. The one I made previous to that shows no image template but opens as the very first one I made. I made several changes to this one but the changes do not save with it. When I click on the third one I made and saved as a "My Template" it says HTTP request error. I hope you can help me and that I have not confused anyone too much with explaining my situation....LOL I have attached 3 images in case they are needed.
    Thank you!
    @llie

Attached Files:

2. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    I can easily duplicate your problem on my computer (WIN7)

#1 was discussed by another user, and seems pretty accurate, #2 and #3 are based upon my experience...

#1: Question: By any chance, when you save the the template depicted in your image1.jpg are you using a period in the file name? Something like mylogo.ver1? Periods appear (Along with other special characters such as " or #) to not work when saving logos. Just about any program thinks the stuff after a period is a file extension (.com, .pdf, . ppt).

#2 and #3: Are trying to save these to your desktop? TLC ver 6.0 saves each template and logo in it's very own file folder. On my computer I have created a folder on my desktop called "My saved logos" . Why? I hate looking for stuff, and I can always find my stuff on my desktop.

TLC creates a folder for each template (or logo) saved. Within each folder are a number of files, one file for each element (A character, a swoosh, or an orb for example). If your template (or logo) has many elements in it, that folder created (I will call it "Ally's folder") with have many files.

HERE IS THE MOST IMPORT PART:
    You must have a separate directory (or main folder) to store your creations in, just trying to save them to your desktop, or to C:\ creates the exact problems you are experiencing. And of course, even I say "must" you may not have to, but I'm pretty sure!
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
    Try opening the program first and then the file. Open projects done with V5 with V5 and those done in V6 with V6. It maybe a situation that both editions maybe looking to open the file or there is name address causing confusion.
  4. Valerie Lancaster

Message Count:
    I have read through EVERY posting about this error, tried all suggestions and still no solution. It is a little frustrating that 1. The manual isn't out, yet there are little nuances to this software that have to be followed (it would seem) to get it to work. Is there NOT a simple answer to why a created logo...saved in the TLC logo folder (on the desktop or not..i've tried both), and saved without any . (period) in the name cannot be accessed again?
  5. PennMan

Message Count:
    Wow, I've never had a program that saves files like TLC does. I'm a bit lost at this point. I created a new template sub-folder in the "My Templates" folder. After saving my logo to the folder I created it will no longer open. TLC created another sub-folder within the one I created. I tried copying the files in my new folder to the TLC Templates folder on the Desk Top. No matter where I try to open my new file/logo from I get the error -> Fault (Server.Error.Request).

Apparently new logo designs must be saved in the default TLC Templates folder on the desktop. Normally it doesn't matter in Windows where you put a file; it will still open. I think the best option for me is to just delete all the stuff I did previously then start over, and call it a learning experience. That sucks.
  6. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    You can store a working logo anywhere!

1. When you save a logo, TLC creates it's own folder unique to that logo. SAVE AS and SAVE AS MY TEMPLATE does the exact same thing.

2. Let's pretend you save (by selecting SAVE AS) a logo you are still working on to your desktop. Let's call it "My great logo." Selecting SAVE AS allows you to stuff the logo where ever your hear pleases.

3. The next day you decide "hmmmmm, I gotta work on "My great logo".
    • YOU MUST OPEN THE LOGO CREATOR FIRST
    • YOU NEXT SELECT "OPEN LOGO" (keyboard shortcut CTRL+O)
    • A "BROWSE FOR FOLDER" WINDOW WILL POP UP.
    4. More than likely you will see the following in the window:
    browse.JPG

Of course the "glenn" would be different on your computer. I am the only person on my computer.

1. CLICK ON WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS. IT WILL BE THE FIRST SUB DIRECTORY BELOW THE DESKTOP ICON.

2. YOU WILL SEE AN EXPANDED SUB DIRECTORY "TREE" OF FOLDERS, SCROLL DOWN AND THEN CLICK ON "DESKTOP".

3. Navigate to the folder with the title "My great logo": CLICK ONCE ON THE FOLDER.

4. SELECT OK.

YOU ONLY SELECT THE FOLDER TO OPEN A WORKING LOGO. ONCE YOU SELECT "OK" YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO.

As a matter of habit I have stopped storing working logos in unique folders. WHY?

When you select SAVE AS MY TEMPLATE you can see a thumbnail of your logo when you want to open it again, using the unique folder as described as you get to look at is a little yellow folder.
  7. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    You also get the HTTP error when trying to open a logo template from version 5.0!
  8. PennMan

Message Count:
    thanks gcuneo2
    Actually I was doing as described above. Then, after walking through your instructions, I noticed some files with the extensions of .j.j and ._tlc. I don't how they got there (Gremlins?). After deleting those files and keeping only the .tlc and .j files the project opened just fine. Cool.
    Thanks again.
  9. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    The TLC file is what tells the software how to put all the components together. It's like a aircraft flight controller....
  10. Craig Costenbader

Message Count:
    I am having the same problem with re-opening a saved template. It shows up in MY TEMPLATES and even shows an image of it, but when I click on inside the Logo Creator Software nothing happens. Anyone have any suggestions for me on this?
  11. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    So when you want to work on a logo ( a saved template is the EXACT SAME THING) that you have not exported you 1: open the logo creator 2. Choose "Select a template set" button located just above the "grab more templates" button. 3. Click on the picture of the logo (The thumbnail) and 4. Nothing happens? Not even ANY sort of error message?

Question: At any time have you ever selected a .TLC file in version 6.0 of the logo creator, right mouse click on it, and selected "Open with"- then gone and chose to open the the .TLC file with the executable file that actually starts the logo creator?