Getting blank .swf files? Check here.

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator' started by laughingbird, Mar 9, 2007.

1. laughingbird

Message Count:
    There seems to be a few users with 'blank' files (.swf files) when they upload the .swf images to their server.

Download the two files below. (They're zipped, so you'll have to unzip them). Then, upload them to your server.
    Put them onto the root area ( for example: www. theflashadcreator.com... not a subfolder like www. theflashadcreator.com/subFolder )

This is the "SCRIPTS" folder that you need to put onto your server.
    This is the "FONTS" folder you need to put onto your server.

You (and your customers) should then see your Ads just fine.

- Marc
    eROTICdESKTOPS likes this.
  2. aphillips

Message Count:
    Tried the Scripts file and the new fonts file - help!

Hi,

I have been trying everything to get my ad to upload correctly to my website. Please help me go through this step by step. I am using Microsoft Publisher to create my site. I know that I need the html file, which I've uploaded to my index file at my file server, plus I've put the assets, scripts and fonts in addition to the .swf file there. Sometimes, when I click on the view of the .swf file in the index file section of my file server, I can see it as I've created it, but not always. Once all is uploaded to my server, I then put the html onto my Publisher page and then, publish my website, but I am unable to see the ad on the website. (My website host is Yahoo where I have a business website.)

I really could use some step by step instructions on how to use this program in conjunction with Publisher. I've read through all of the posts over the past two weeks and tried everything. I just can't get it to work. Please explain how to do it. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult. I have a lot of other stuff on my website from a PayPal icon link to a large questionnaire webform, so I don't understand why this isn't working.

Thanks,
    Amy
    :image24:
  3. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Amy.

Welcome to the forum.

... can you point me to your page that contains one of the ads? Or, upload a test page and point me to it. Let me check it out so I can better understand what's going on.

You've done everything correctly according to your post here.

- Marc
  4. aphillips

Message Count:
    Issue resolved

Hi, I was able to post and view my page now with the ad.

Thanks,
    Amy:image28:
  5. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Amy.
    Thanks for the update.

... what did you do differently? Do you remember?
    Perhaps it will help others with the same issue.

- Marc
  6. studioeight

Message Count:
    Thank you! This thread was very helpful! I finally got it to work for me! Thank you for the great templates!
  7. bq1963

Message Count:
    Hi,
    I have just uploaded my .swf and associated files to my website. The flash file shows, but only with the default information, ie not my text and pics.
    My URL is New Zealand Party Pills | Home Can someone please help?
  8. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi BQ.

I see the ad on your home page. No images are appearing.

So I've looked at the source code and see that the ad IS there, and is working properly:

http://www.nzpartypills.co.nz/gfx/nzad.swf

It appears that you have the ad's .swf file and assets folder contained in the "gfx" directory (folder). But the HTML file is outside of this directory.

Move the .swf file (nzad.swf) and the assets folder and place them at the same level as the HTML page (in this case it's your index.html page).

That should do it for you.
    Let me know if this makes sense.

- Marc
  9. domusfelium

Message Count:
    Still getting blank swfs. Urgent help required.

Hi, I seem to be having a problem and suspect it's something simple I'm doing wrong rather than the software itself. I am getting the *blank* swf files (previous version and 2.0) I've gone through all the posts in this forum looking for help, uploaded the scripts/fonts files to the directory in Cpanel, all to no avail. I've been messing with this software for about 8 months now so trying to solve this problem would be nice. Oh yeah, the software doesn't produce the html file which I noticed has been posted before...and I DON'T want to mess about by creating one myself .. kinda defeats the purpose in buying automated software!

In anycase, any help would be greatly appreciated as what the possible problem could be in the blank swfs.

Kindest Regards.
  10. Doc

Message Count:
    Hi domusfelium, firstly let me admit I am no expert with Flash Ad Creator however I did produce a flash ad so I could get a basic idea of what was involved. I used Coffee Cup html editor to produce the html page and it produced the code for inserting the ad ok. The code it gave me is shown below in red.

Please note there should not be a space after <OBJECT classid="clsid: in the top line of the code - I had to add it to stop :(and)D being interpreted as a smiley by the forum software.
    <OBJECT classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0" ID=Untitled WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400>
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="My_Ad.swf">
    <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
    <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=False>
    <EMBED src="My_Ad.swf" loop=false quality=high
    WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

Apart from this all I did was to ftp the html and the folders produced by FAC to my website. If you want to check out the flash I made see this thread and click on the link
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/flash-ad-creator-gallery/5356-first-attempt-fac.html#post36897
    While the flash is playing you can view the source html by clicking on View in your browser then selecting Source from the drop down menu.
    I hope this is of some help.
  11. chasa

Message Count:
    Flash add creator

Marc: quite busy and dont have the time to do all of the prelims. The problem I have is...having purchased the FAC sometime ago...I finally have the time to work with it.

What I am finding is in running a test with one of the templates and just exporting the ad and components AS IS (using the existing template only- not wanting to take the time to create a specific ad) I find that first of all in using sitebuilder from Yahoo as well as webhosting to do all my sites, that I cannot seem to upload the text file since it is not accepted by file upload mgr as a valid file name.

Thus... going back to the computer and saving the complete ad to a folder and attempting to add it to a test page, working with the sitebuilder on my computer. With this said, can you give me a point by point process to bring all of the files into sitebuilder to create the ad on a test page to see if it runs. This is my goal at this point. No reason to take the time to actually do custom entry until I find and perfect the procedure of actually getting a working sample template up and running on a page. Any suggestions and help would by appreciated.

This my be one of several emails over the next few days until I am able to actually see a working template before I put the time and energy into designing a specific ad. Please respond direct to my email address in additon to the board...this will be much quicker for me. Regards, chasa
  12. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    Like with any software, you must ensure that it will work for what you need. I've never used Yahoo's sitebuilder, but I'm sure there are ways to get things uploaded (providing that service allows those files). Along with all the features listed on the FAC pages, you'll also find the disclaimer that you should know how to get it uploaded to your site. To create a step-by-step tutorial for every person's application, would be impossible.
  13. domusfelium

Message Count:
    blank .swf files on old version and new

It somewhat surprises me that a supposedly reputable company can release a software that doesn't do what they say it can do and also arbitrarily remove posts detailing the faults and giving credit to another software that does better. This is the response I received from the last post I made, and I will ensure that it is posted to EVERY public forum and feedback nostrum I can... in otherwords, I HATE the fact that someone DELETES negative comments just because they can...what's up? Are you afraid of the competition? Or, is it that you released a software too early that has so many bugs and can't perform?

In anycase, here is the email I received:

In regards to after 8 months, I DID request help on MORE than one occasion, in email. It was ONLY in the forum that someone ATTEMPTED to help me... This conversation is recorded and will be sent to all venues who attempt to sell this software.

As for the refund, please send it to my son: Kenneth W. Calvert, who purchased this on my behalf...and in my opinion, a TOTAL waste of money. My respectful suggestion is, get the bugs out first before you market the product to do what you claimed it would, therefore alleviating complaints.

And, unless you're Gestapo...don't delete comments just because they aren't what you want to hear or what you want others to hear.

:image10-2:
  14. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    You'll see many comments on the board that are negative in nature. It's thru those types of posts that Marc is able to work thru updates to the Laughingbrid softwares.

I only deleted your original due to it referencing another software for someone to purchase. I'm sure you won't find them allowing their visitors to recommend other softwares that are in direct competition.

And, I've failed to create the problems some have had here....including not being able to upload it to a website.
  15. studioeight

Message Count:
    I have had much success using this software, domusfelium.

It took me a while to figure out that, for some reason, I couldn't test the ads in my browser from my own hard drive... (I had to upload them to my host's server first and include both the assets and fonts folders)... then it worked fine.

I suspect that if you're having a problem, you're also struggling with something similar... not realizing that these are not stand-alone ads at this point. Try following the directions step by step to upload the parts to the ad (the .swf file, the assets folder, and the fonts folder) to the same top-level directory and see if it works.

Here are 3 of the ads I've successfully created with this software.

Ad #1

Ad #2

Ad #3

My client is pleased. I'm pleased. I love this software! It's not perfect... I mean, there could be some improvements such as it would be nice to save it while working on it prior to exporting it... it would be nice to change the size and colors within the interface without having to use Flash... it would be nice if it was self-contained without the need of the assets folder (which I hear the developer is working on), but hey, there are some GREAT templates in there and with a little patience to learn how the software works, you should be happy with it.

As far as removing posts is concerned, well... makes sense that a software developer would remove repeated posts that said the software didn't work when it does. Did you post your complaints more than once? Sounds like it from the email you quoted.

Best wishes! Hope you have as much success with it as me. It just takes a little time. That's all.

All the best.
  16. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the samples and the nice post. The software has it's own learning curve --- once you battle thru them, you can create some nice things. Thanks for sharing!
  17. AllStar

Message Count:
    Help! :) I'll be the first to admit I have NOT done my homework and researched/studied the FAC as I should, and I've not done any 'troubleshooting' reading other than to quickly read through this thread and I've probably missed some stuff here to! But I'm working under a tight 'time crunch' and need to know if I can get this resolved quickly.

I created my ad, put it on my page, uploaded files to my server and long story short, it works fine on tests from my desktop, but trying to view it live on my webpage I just get the 'loading...' message and the building blocks dropping. Happens in IE and Firefox and on XP and Vista.

I'm sure it's something very simple and something I've ignorantly overlooked or have done incorrectly. I'm not savvy at Flash etc., so I'm handicapped there as well.

Any IMMEDIATE help or suggestions I can get would be great as I need to get this page populated and live within a few hours...

http://www/allstarmarketers.com

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions given!

Dave W.
  18. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Dave.

... can you try re-creating the Ad?
    I know this might be a bit of a pain, being that you're on a deadline and all.

However, if you re-create the Ad and use the 3rd option when you want to export it you should be okay.

The third option is "Upload images to Laughingbird's server".

This may have something to do with how your particular server is trying to read in the images. I see that if you right click and choose PLAY, your ad runs great - which tells me you've uploaded correctly.

Try the above and let me know how it goes.

- Marc
  19. AllStar

Message Count:
    Thanks for the reply Marc. It was no problem recreating and exporting
    to your servers, but now I'm lost and I apologize for the ineptness. What do
    I do differently to reference the .swf file now? How do I get everything pointing correctly to the right places?

Thanks again,

Dave W.
  20. AllStar

Message Count:
    Got it now. I was over-reading the original instructions at the beginning of this thread and was just uploading the individual files, not the two folders themselves, up to our server...doh. Figured out what I was doing wrong, uploaded the FOLDERS, re-created and exported the ad again and viola, works like a charm!

Thanks for your help and patience...and for a great program!

Dave W.