Full Bleed Business Card Tips

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by Ultimate, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Ultimate

Message Count:
    The logo creator specs for a 300 dpi business card would be 1088x638. The card needs to be set up 2.125"x 3.625". A standard business card is 2x3.5 but because a full color card can have a full bleed you need the extra size to be able to cut the card down to the 2x3.5 size to achieve the full bleed on all sides.

When setting up the card you need to set the information and graphics on the card as if it was 2x3.5 because that is what the final size will be after the card is trimmed down. So all of your type needs to be spaced accordingly so there is enough border around the edge. The background needs to be set at 2.125x3.625 this allowing for the trim for the full bleed effect.

Note: For a full color card that either has a white border or background then you need to just set the card up at a 2x3.5.

If anyone needs I have a template set up in a JPG that I can email you so you can use as a guide line. The template is too large to post on the boards but if you leave me a pm I will be happy to email it off to you.

If your monitor will not let you produce a 1088x638 image in logo creator then what you need to do is produce a 1028x630 image. The image can be adjusted for printing. The one thing you need to keep in mind is you still need the same area so you must use your eye to make sure that you have enough room around the edges for the cut for a full bleed card.

1088 x 638 is the exact specs for a 3.625x2.125 Business Card with a Full Bleed at 300dpi
    1050x600 is the exact specs for a 3.5x2 Business Card at 300 dpi
  2. jpimpdaddy

Message Count:
    I have been working on my business cards on my laptop, using this size but I want to be able to transfer everything to my desktop computer and I asked this question before but anyway the actual desktop computer I have and monitor a SAMSUNG SyncMaster 512n 15 inch LCD maximum resolution is 1024 by 768 and when I set my dpi to 300 in the program and then I set my canvas size to 1088 to 638, it gets maxed out at 1024 by 638 it reverts back, and I don't know if that is a windows problem, setup issue, like a folder option or what but would you know how to fix it? The computer is a Celeron D E machine w/ intel extreme graphics 3D card
  3. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Hi jpimpdaddy,

I don't have the answer to your question yet, but want you to know that your question has been seen, and someone (me at least) is actually looking for an answer. I'll post back as soon as I have one. Meantime, do a search on this issue at www.komando.com, an excellent source of tips and shareware and more for PC's (and Macs as well to a lesser degree).

And if no one has said so yet ... welcome to the forum! :D
  4. Flotsom

Message Count:
    jpimpdaddy,

It would appear that the issue is a little bit of both. The window size does affect the degree to which you can enlarge your canvas. That is to say, that TLC will allow you to expand the canvas size bigger, but your screen setting won't. It's also an issue with TLC and Marc (the software's creator) explains it in this post.

He is obviously working to resolve it, but since it is a problem with his current developing tool, it may not be resolved soon. On the other hand, it sounds like he has a plan to deal with this issue in an entirely different way.

Hope this helps some.
  5. reverseimage

Message Count:
    Hi,
    I'm just getting started making Business cards and would appreciate any information you can send me. I'm using a MAC G4. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information.
  6. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Hi Reverse.

The post you've replied to is about a year or so old.
    The new version of The Logo Creator (v5.0) doesn't have the built in "Business Card" option any more.

I've created a new machine for this :D
    Hop over to: http://www.cicreator.com (The Corporate Identity Creator).

You can export your logo as a "PNG with Transparancy" (you'll find this option in The Logo Creator under the Export menu).

Then, play around with The Corporate Identity Creator. You can import your logo over ready-made business cards, letterhead and envelope templates!

Then, have our partner print shop VistaPrint print up your cards! (they'll print up 250 for about $25 and send them all right to your door).

Hope this help a bit!

- Marc