Exporting JPG, PNG, transparent PNG and OTHER formats in HIGH RES

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Rudy P, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Rudy P

Message Count:
    So...it used to be in TLC V 5 and on that you could export to a wide variety of formats (JPG, PNG, and if memory is correct, EPS and TIFF) and in a wide variety of DPI settings so as to get some seriously cool HIGH RES images.
    I purchased TLC 6 because in the various moves from computer to computer I somehow don't have that old 5.0 or 5.2 version.
    I exported a file and it came out with "jagged edges" (????-1995 called and she wants her jagged edges back).
    Ok, seriously now, how do I export so I get those nice HIGH RES DPI images-real logos for real professional work, not the jagged edges I would get from back then?
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    Check to see that you are viewing at full size. Jagged sides use to be an indication to size up with some viewers.
  3. Rudy P

Message Count:
    Thanks! I did and set the size of the canvas much larger and am will make the image much larger that way, and then shrink down or up as needed and will see how that works.

In which update will the option of saving at various DPI come back? Thanks!
  4. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    That's a good question! People get Pixel size, and DPI confused a lot-- DPI referencing printing. Most resolution on flat panel monitors is typically about 96 DPI--- and that looks pretty good. Of course nice printing is typically done at 300 DPI--- nice crisp edges, nice fading of colors,stuff like that. even if you can print at 75 DPI, you wouldn't notice that much of a difference.

Some people have gotten "jaggies" by manually resizing a exported logo in powerpoint for example. Those cases have typically been when they work on a small logo (250 x 250 pixels for example), then manually resize it trying to get it to fill up half a page--- there just wasn't that much graphic information in the original exported logo to work with.

To the best of my knowledge when you export a logo, it does so at whatever size, in pixels. I can change my monitor resolution so that the exported logo matches exactly (measured by a wooden ruler) the output when I hit "print" in TLC, but I don't.

Smaller screens (15" crt's for example) will display the default logo size of 590 x 466- but that size will be proportionally smaller, simply because it's on a smaller screen.

One user in the past has had problems with "Jaggies"- and all he did was change his font from a system font to one of the imbedded fonts- and it took care of his issue.

I know it's a rambly response, but hope it helps!
  5. Rudy P

Message Count:
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Having used TLC since 5.0, and having printed out logos, newsletters, postcards, bus cards, I am fully aware of the difference between monitor displays and hard copy dpi.
    I should have been clearer.

I am referring now exclusively to hard copy.
    There is a huge difference between 75 dpi printouts, 300 dpi and 600 etc and 2400 dpi on paper, as you are aware.
    I just want to be able to have the beautiful logos designed by your awesome program look AWESOME on paper as well, especially when I import into other programs.
    So back to my original question: How can I get high res output (so HIGH DPI for PAPER) so I can have very high quality printouts so my exports look great?
    Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Any chance you can post a logo you would like to print at a high resolution, and tell me what resolution you're looking for, whether or not you're printing it, what the desired size of the output?

I've been printing exported logos on my lazer, my inkjet, and my photoprinter, and they all look just fine.

I just tried manually resizing (in photoshop) a standard basic logo (at 590 by 466) to 1200DPI and it's size jumped up to over 200MB! I don't have any idea what thats all about!
  7. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I just purchased TLC recently and love the software, however when I tried to export my finished logo, nothing exported. I tried to do a "Save As" and it only saved it in a very small size (different from the canvas I used to create the logo. What I need to have is the finished logo in the 3 export formats (PNG, JPG and Transparent PNG). But when I execute this, I go to the folder I chose and there is nothing there. I have tried this numerous times with the same result. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. What am I missing ???
  8. KD-did

Message Count:
    The small "save as" is probably just a thumbnail image one of several files saved with TLC. Perhaps the folder you have been trying to export to is just too deep....try exporting to the desktop or to the Documents folder.
  9. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I appreciate the response....
    The thumbnail concept makes sense, however the "Export" still does not work no matter what folder I attempt to place them in. I have tried every possible folder depth as close to the TLC as possible (desktop, etc.) and nothing is saved. I have attempted all 3 export options. With this in mind, I can create a lot of beautiful logos and banners, but I do not have access to them to use within my website consulting business.
    I really need to be able to get the logos exported so that I can use them in my business and receive my fees for creating them. I am sure that there is a simple answer to this, but I just need to know what that answer is. Thanks
  10. KD-did

Message Count:
    What OS are you using? You might try screen shooting your logos until the mystery can be solved.
  11. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
  12. KD-did

Message Count:
    Many things can cause damages to downloaded files....weather, accelerators, anti-virals and even rarely programs for unzipping. The wise thing maybe to uninstall your current version and go for a fresh download...temporarily turning off your anti-viral and any accelerators.

Also when naming files beware of having decimal points in the titles.
  13. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I uninstalled and reinstalled TLV v6 and nothing has changed. I still do not have the ability to export my created logos.
  14. KD-did

Message Count:
    And that was with a fresh download to install.
  15. KD-did

Message Count:
    Check that the V6 file is removed from the "Program Files".
  16. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    I got a couple of questions, and some wild ideas.....

1. You are aware when you export a logo it "becomes" a JPG or PNG file?
    2. By any chance, when you save the logos to wherever (Folder, desktop etc...) are you then going back into The Logo Creator and selecting OPEN LOGO? If so, that could explain why you think the logos aren't there. When you store logos (That have not been exported) in a different folder of your choosing, to open the logo, all you do is select the folder, not a particular file.

READ ON: (This part is a loooooong shot) When you save a logo either selecting SAVE AS or SAVE AS MY TEMPLATE The Logo Creator automatically creates a folder which contains all of the elements of your logo-- there is one file for each element: Add a swoosh, that's one file in that folder, add a star, that's another file (Get the idea)?

There is also a TLC file with that folder containing all the files. TLC files tell The Logo Creator Software how to put all the elements together. So lets say you create a logo called "My sweet logo", you save it as a template, you work on it, you get it looking all pretty, then decide to export it as a .JPG called "mysweetlogo" (Notice I didn't type it as mysweetlogo.jpg), to a folder on your desktop called "my logos". You go to that folder, and BAM! Nothing is there.

I got another question: Do you have "administrator privileges" on the computer you're working on? If so, right mouse click on the folder you're saving stuff to, select PROPERTIES, then select the SECURITY TAB and check all the permissions. If you do not have admin privileges, you may not even see the security tab, or some of the selections normally found on the security tab. I'm the only one on my computer so I basically allow everything.

HERE'S THE FAR OUT IDEA: You have a corrupt installation. The TLC file is exporting the thumbnail which shows up in the pull down menu (Which I believe the TLC is responsible for creating the thumbnails), and not your canvas......
  17. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    1. I did remove the V6 file from the "Program Files" folder before re-installing
    2. The logged into my TLC account and downloaded a fresh "TLC6_FullInstaller.exe" download file
    3. I re-installed the software
    4. No change. Still cannot export.

***Gcuneo2 comments and suggestions***
    1. I fully understand the different results you get when using the "Save As" vs. "Export"
    2. I have full admin rights on my PC
    3. I do not use a .jpg or .png when attempting to export
    4. The folder that I export to is always empty (as you said "Blam", nothing)

There must be something that is not checked, clicked or activated. I am confident that both my PC and TLC are working perfectly. The only problem I have is that I cannot use any logos I create, beccuase I cannot export them to them utilize in other areas.

Any other ideas??????
  18. KD-did

Message Count:
    Have you tried changing the TLC V6 properties.... change the compatibility program status?
  19. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I changed the properties to "Work in Compatibility Mode" with "Windows 7". No change.
    Has anyone else been dealing with this issue???
    I am confident that this will work, we just need to discover what is causing the problem of not being able to export a logo. Please help.
  20. SterlingGroup

Message Count:
    I have been on business travel and just returned. I saw no new replies to this issue. Do we have any updated answers as to why my Windows 7 64-bit laptop will not allow me to export anything I create within LogoCreator?

We have had numerous exchanges of ideas and suggestions, but the bottom line is, when I create a logo, banner, icon, etc within TLC, the program will not export the finished design to any folder so that I can then use them in web design, advertising, flyers, etc.

I am confident that if I have had this problem, that someone else has. The product is tremendous, so with all of the clients, someone must have had this issue and has resolved it.... Please help!!!!