Educational Theme for Logo Creator

Discussion in 'Wish list for future releases' started by richrider, Apr 16, 2006.

1. richrider

Message Count:
    I fell in love with The Logo Creator back in version 3. With each update and new theme pack the program just keeps getting better.

I'm a middle school computer technology teacher, and have showed the program to my class (via demo versions, and from the registered version on my laptop). The response from my students was overwhelming! They thought the program was absolutely incredible, but most importantly easy to use.

I would love to see in future version a logo pack with an educational theme.

Either way - outstanding job on the program!

Thank you,

Richard Hendricks
    Computer Education Teacher
    East Hampton Middle School
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    Great idea and here's something I did for you.
  3. Chris

Message Count:

Hi Rich-

So what kinda things did you have in mind. Say if someone designed an educational pack.

Let me know I am interested in this idea.
  4. richrider

Message Count:
    Educational Theme

Chris,

Thank you for taking an interest in this idea. Granted, this idea is working off of my experience with my students whose age group ranges from 10-15 (6th - 8th graders).

Looking at the sample logos created by my kids, they would have to be "light and fluffy," and make use of some pretty bold colors.

As it stands, my kids gravitate towards the Company Mascot and Cartoon editions. Mostly because of the animated charachters found there. The problem they commented on was that there weren't any characters in the packs more their age group (teens), nor were there items associated with the age group (tech items like MP3 players, sports items, etc).

We are on vacation this week, however come Monday let me see if I can find a few sample logos and upload them to give you an idea of what they have done so that you might get a better idea.

As I said - I appreciate the interest in this idea!

I will see what is available to upload Monday and will paint more of my idea then (when there is something to reference).

Thank you in advance,

Richard Hendricks
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    If you class also includes painting programs a great FREE resource is the use of dingbats. They come in an incredible range of subjects. Dingbats are found on font sites . They work just like fonts. A character map or printout of the dingbats will show the key that triggers the image they want.The kids could have customized colorizations. First color the dingbat black, export and using a paint program color the image with color fill or as detailed as they care to paint, save and import back into TLC and they would be ready to make their logos.

For a great free image editor/paint Paint.net http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/
    Sample attached
  6. mrwatcher1

Message Count:
    dingbats ?

KD ...

I still don't follow about dingbats ??

The picture of the bear above is a dingbat ?

you said :

they are fonts but they trigger images instead of letters and numbers. Look in the embedded fonts "Shapes" if you type "c" you will get a circle, "r" a rectangle, "s' a square...etc

Does this work with TLC , or do you need a paint program
    like (paint.net) to do this ..??

Did you make this bear by using the method above.

Typing (C) to get a circle ? S=square ...

or did you draw that bear ... I can't draw , I have tried several paint programs ... (paint.net)

Thanks

GREG
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
    No,I did not draw the bear it was made with a dingbat called "BearBats". I typed the letter J and called up the font out of my system font file. At first the appear as any text does. I then colored that black because I was going to paint it. I then exported it out of TLC as a Tpng. Then opened a paint program, painted it and saved it. I then imported it to TLC for whatever project I wanted a cute bear for.

I advise strongly to have a font viewer/character map like "The Font Thing" (FREE) to make things easier.because it is easier than hunt and pecking through all the keyboard keys. Some dingbats use all the keys and some only use upper or lower case letters. It works perfectly with XP even though the site doesn't say so

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html
  8. Chris_Houg

Message Count:
    Great tool, KD, thanks for the link!!
  9. amyferreira

Message Count:
    Good Grief !! KD!! :image10-2:you are a genius!!lol
  10. mrwatcher1

Message Count:
    What Now ?

I downloaded THE FONT THING from the link ,
    but I don't know what to do with it now ..??

I figured out how to ( c=circle ) shapes with TLC ,
    just don't know where this FONT THING I downloaded fits in ?

Greg
  11. KD-did

Message Count:
    The Font Thing is a viewing and character map tool. After it is installed on your computer you will then be able to view all your system fonts with it and in the case of a dingbats the character map shows you what keyboard key makes what image. As you download and install dingbats into your system font folder you will need a way to see what letter, number or punctuation mark keys makes what image. When The Font Thing is launched and you click on character you will see a code, and what keyboard key makes what image a picture and you will also be able to see more detail when you click on the image.

Because of size restrictions for attachment I can only show you a partial of what you will see. This particular dingbat uses Both upper and lower case letters. The images for the upper case letters are different from the lower case letters. The 3rd attachment is when you want to see more detail.