1. New Software Notice alert!

The new Web Graphics Creator (version 4.0) will be out soon.

For now, version 3.0 is still active and works great on most Windows machines. It no longer runs on Macs using Lion or greater... (but the new version will fix this)

So hang in there! It's almost done!

eBook aspect ratio for the front, top and side images?

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator' started by Tommy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Tommy

Message Count:
    Hi, I just bought the Web Graphics Creator and tried to create an eBook cover.

Unfortunately the templates in the Art Center don't match the size to be used in an eBook and the URL mentioned in the first sticky post is no longer existing.

What would be a valid aspect ratio for a eBook cover template without requiring any resizing/stretching?

I'm a little disappointed that there are no properly sized templates in the Art Center for the front, side and top images to be used for eBooks...:image09:

Should be simple to resolve - maybe for the announced update of the Web Graphics Creator?

Apart from that I really like the Web Graphics Creator :image28:

Thanks,
    Tommy
  2. Tommy

Message Count:
    170 views and no one can help?

I found the spines templates for the eBook's side and their size is 111x517 pixel.

So I assume that the book's front side image should be 517 pixel high. But what is the ideal width?

For the top side I would use the 111 pixel as the height value and the width should be identical to the width of the front image, right?

So, does anyone (maybe Marc who created the eBook tool) have a good suggestion for the width of the front image?

I simply want to avoid a resizing/rescaling of the images...

Thanks,
    Tommy
  3. GCFL

Message Count:
    I really think Marc needs to answer this for us. The shrink and stretch options just don't create very good results. I really would like native image sizes for all the model sides...PLLLEEAASSEE!!!!!
  4. Tommy

Message Count:
    Yes, I totally agree!
    And a view count of more than 1200 shows a certain interest, doesn't it?!

Marc, please tell us the native image sizes for the 3D eBook sides!

Thanks in advance,
    Tommy
  5. Doc

Message Count:
    From looking at the template images it appears that the image size is 101 x 510. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

6. Tommy

Message Count:
    Nice find.
    But if you open the Art Center from the Web Creator and select a spine from the "Spines & Sides" logo set their size is 111x517. And there are no templates for a front image/template and the top image/template.
    In the template images folder I found a front image with a size of 419x512. So they don't even share one width/height value...

But I am convinced that the 3D model of the eBook is designed for some native size and it would be great to know those values.
    And even better would be some given templates with proper names like "eBook front", "eBook side" and "eBook top or bottom".

I expected such templates to be part of the product already...

But maybe we'll get some proper templates in the promised update of the Web Graphics Creator?!

Thanks for your help, Doc!

Cheers,
    Tommy
  7. GCFL

Message Count:
    I originally posted a bit of a rant here trying to get someone from the company to post these native sizes for all models and in an earlier post claimed the model resize did not work well enough to output a quality image. ( my personal experience is that if I resize an ebook front cover the top leading edge of the spine wraps over the top of the model so when using colored backgrounds, the sides to not match). After reading some stickys, I see that my error may be that the native heighth of my spine may not be the native same heighth of my cover (duh)...so they do not resize/fit correctly. I am out of town this week until Friday so I can't test but will when I return. The resizing of the model may very well be the key so I will report back and post an example.
  8. Tommy

Message Count:
    GCFL, were you successful creating an example?

Marc from Laughingbird, can't you provide some wisdom here about optimal image sizes?

Regards,
    Tommy
  9. GCFL

Message Count:
    letting the model resize itself to your image seems to work fine. I took a file i was playing with and applied it to a binder/book model and it fit fine. When making a book with a spine, you have to make sure the spines height dimensions match that of the cover or things will get messed up but other than that...use the model resize feature and you should be fine.

Attached Files:

10. xuandma Guest

Message Count:
    I'm a little disappointed that there are no properly sized templates in the Art Center for the front, side and top images to be used for eBooks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]