Does the Flash Ad Creator update to version 2.6 work?

Discussion in 'The Flash Ad Creator Updates' started by xprt007, Sep 1, 2009.

1. xprt007

Message Count:
    Hi
    I have tried to install the update mentioned here http://www.flashadcreator.com/update.html but it does not seem to work.

I have a version on a USB stick & thought that was the problem because I was doing it on a "foreign" PC.

On my home PC however, the update process seems to run well.
    It checks for old versions, and says it does not find the old version. I direct it to the folder with the old version & once I click OK, I get an error message saying set up could not be completed and that is it.

I even did a re-install of the old version first, which reminded me of a separate problem I had when I installed it. When u insert the key & click submit, it just ignores you, no confirmation or reaction of any sort. One just has to close the window.

So what is the problem with the FAD v2.6 upgrade?
  2. KD-did

Message Count:
    I can't recall ever getting a confirmation message after using the key on any Laughingbird product ever. On my PCs.. after inserting the key I have always closed the application and done a cold reboot before launching the program. I have never had a successful launch without doing so.... I am not sure if it is tied to something to do my computer itself or some other reason.
  3. xprt007

Message Count:
    Hi :)
    May be laughingbird needs to work on this, because it's confusing if one is installing for the first time.

The other recent article in this sub-forum http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9453 suggests at least some 2 people have installed the update to v2.6.

I'm still frustrated by the fact that I cannot get the update installation to complete on 3 different (Windows XP Prof.) PCs

As said, being told to help locate an earlier version of FAD in order for set up to continue, ...
    on selecting path/to old version/
    whether G:\Programs\The Flash Ad Creator v2.5 or G:\Programs\ (like on this current PC) or on another PC the next step is an error alert window saying "Setup was not successful", whether I try to overwrite the current installation or try to install it in a new location!

Has anyone been able to successfully install on an XP system?
  4. KD-did

Message Count:
    I had launch V2.5 after getting error message, thinking perhaps V2.5 had been damaged... I then closed the application after that the update went perfectly.
  5. xprt007

Message Count:
    Hi
    Here are the screenshots of the installation process explained above:

[​IMG]
  6. xprt007

Message Count:
    Continuation:

[​IMG]

The fact is whatever I do, whether I change the installation directory or not, I come to the same end.
    As you can see there, there are no other options for installation/upgrade.

The installer seems to fail to see or understand the previous installation's location and does/cannot continue without it.

The failure has been on 4 different XP Prof. PCs, one of which is my home PC on which I have full admin rights. FAD 2.5 however does not require them for installation as I have been able to install it on my flash drive via another PC.
    FAD 2.6 Update does not throw any error under that pretext on the other non-home PCs.
    The fact that I get the same results on different PCs means it's not a local issue.
  7. laughingbird

Message Count:
  8. xprt007

Message Count:
    http://www.logodesignforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=64346

I thought the response at the above link was relevant here as well, so I pasted it below: