Discuss ways of securing your designs

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by BWC, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BWC

Message Count:
    I think any participants in a design of anyone's logo should be compensated. That's ALL participants. My idea would be a fee paid to Mark and dispersed to everyone who participates in these headhunter promotions. It seems most who come looking for a logo come to pick the brains (and some DO steal) of the participants. A FEE to begin a process will cut the chafe . . . yes?

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have an email message sent to designers at the start of a Logo Request so we might all have an equal chance.
  2. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    I couldnt dissagree more on anything thats ever been posted on this forum....Thats what free enterprise is all about as well as freelance work, You compete to get business, If you arent chosen then so be it!...If this were to be put in place, then no one would ever come here and ask for a design when there are other places on the internet to get designs. And as far as stealing goes Hey! it happens thats just the chance you take when you put images on the internet, whether its in a forum or on a website...Thats life! and fact! thats why you watermark it as best as you can and hope for the best.
  3. Chris

Message Count:
    You both make valid points above. There is allot that could be done and allot that will never cure the issue of designs being stolen. A designer takes that chance when they decide to post a design for the public to see.

It would be great if others were nice about it and never stole other designers work, but I doubt that will ever happen. LOL
  4. prototype66

Message Count:
    That is a fact of life, there are good and bad people and you cant tell them apart until something happens. I agree with worlock also,.
  5. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    The only way I know that a design wont get taken is just to not post it at all...But you know the saying copying the the surest form of flattery...This has been a topic among many.... I remember reading stuff like this back in the 90's when I first started doing animations...So until a remedy is found...be prepared to face the fact that someone else may be using your design...
  6. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Heres a tip that might be helpful...On a PC if you right click on a picture ( graphic or logo ) you will have a box come up and at the top will be 2 tabs...One of those tabs says "Summary" Thats the one you want..So click on it. Now you can fill in information about you and the graphic, and when you post that graphic...That info that you put in will transfer with the picture...Try It...Im not sure how this is done using a mac but if anyone knows that uses one...please let others know how to do this as well...Maybe this will help you in securing your graphic for the future, But in the meantime, Id still use a watermark as well, just for added security.
  7. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Im sorry ... I forgot to add "Right Click and select Properties"
    Then you will have a box pop up with the information posted above.
  8. BWC

Message Count:
    That may be what your idea of free enterprise is about but when someone requests WORK to be performed I expect some sort of compensation. I've got nothing against anyone else performing for FREE but let's move towards a more serious approach to our Time & Efforts. I mainly got interested in this because of reading so many posts about the person GETTING their designs for FREE simply took off abandoning the projects all you people were donig. That, to ME, is a slap in the face~! Not even giving you the common decency of a thank as they ran out the door with your work . . .
    So be it~! If you want to sit here for THEM and not for YOU. Which bring up the subject, or the question; what is the policy here about getting paid? Or does everyone just wait for a PM from the requesters of the designs?
    BULL~! Stealing is not to be tolerated. That was why I stated my initial post . . because the majority of people I read about simply abandoned the thread with not so much as a thank you. Or am I wrong about the posts that have been put into that LIMBO section????
  9. BWC

Message Count:
    There are dozens of so-called work-arounds to try and watermark or outright red-face the front of an image but a theif is always going to find their way around it.

The thing I like about this forum is the openess of the people, which is how I am usually. I guess when I read so many posts about the negative aspects of those ripoffs I didn't give myself enuf time to cool off before jumoing in.

I just want an even chance to be in these design comps. That's what my final statement was; to hopefully get an email or something of a heads up when a new post appears in these Request threads.
  10. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    First off BWC Its not MY IDEA Its fact and its been in place longer than you and I have been alive. So let me get this straight, You want to be compensated for every logo you design, Interesting .... Since youve posted work youve done on the forum, So you saying Marc should pay you for those logos your showing off in other areas of the forum?
    He would owe alot of money to alot of members if this was the case. If you want compensation for your work, Then its up to you to do what YOU need to do to get it! First off, This is Marc's Forum...The area for logo requests has been in place for along time, And has worked for many until this incident, As for posts about logos given for free because someone walked out the door with them...Hey! this happens and nothing you can do will prevent it. But those who have been compensated for winning the choice of the requester, well thats the real prize!...If you want compensation..I suggest you start your own forum and put that in the rules of your forum.

I dont sit and wait for them, I simply answer posts just like You Do And I try and get the job. I dont see anything wrong with competition like you do..Seems you just want easy money! And thats all there is to it!.

Stealing happens...in every aspect of life...As for threads being abandoned without thank yous...Well thats forum life.
    And the bird cage ( the LIMBO area you speak of ) well evidently those posts have reasons...We may not know them, And I dont care what their reason was, But you cant force someone to pay over the internet and some of those posters may not have liked any of the designs that were given. So what they didnt say thank you...I look at it as practice and it gives me an opportunity to once again present work showing what Im capable of doing. I sell logos on the side outside of this forum, And I have given some for free on here..."Its generosity" not compensation..because thats what I believe in, But seems all you want is a free paycheck...and your in the wrong forum for that...
  11. BWC

Message Count:
    Well, I guess whatever the wizard says is the way it's gotta be.

What this BS about ME wanting a free paycheck?

Look, just back the f off . . . this started as something about a SUBJECT and you've turned it into an attack on me . . . later~!
  12. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    Guys, please keep it civil and make no personal attacks. We can discuss things here and be professional adults about it. It gets out of hand.....well, let's not let it happen, ok? :)

That said, if you have some ideas on how to improve the logo request area & securing your designs, please post away.

BWC - your idea of being compensated for just posting samples on a request even if you don't get the job is not feasible for the board (that's the way I took your comments, if I'm wrong, please clarify), so let's not entertain that idea any longer. Thanks. :)
  13. Topcatz Banned

Message Count:
    Randy, I have an idea

WHY not run a thread to find out how many "designers" in
    this forum have ever been paid by a person asking for logo
    help from this forum?

Below is a quote from one of your great forum members,
    I printed it out and it,s on my wall:

Arguing on the internet ... is like being in the special olympics...You may win the race, but your still mentally challenged
  14. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Another way of securing your logos is use a zip program and zip them up and use a password and PM it to the client..this way only they can open it up and see whats inside...There are free zip programs out there that will allow you to do this. Just a thought!
  15. Peart2112

Message Count:

absolutely!!!!:image28:
  16. Peart2112

Message Count:
    jeez its not that difficult u just charge a flat fee and the requestor gets all the designs...u can choose how to or how not to dispense with the $$...just as long as someone got paid would make me :image10-2:
  17. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the comments Peart2112 -- continue to check back as there are some changes coming to this area very soon.
  18. Chris_Houg

Message Count:
    I have a unique way of securing my designs.

I'm such a bad artist, no one would bother.... :image10:
  19. Worlock Banned

Message Count:
    Nah!! Ive seen your stick people :image28:
  20. KD-did

Message Count:
    How about masking 1/2 of your design or just responding verbally? By showing only 1/2 of a design the requester can get an idea of what the designer's concept is but it wouldn't exactly be usable as it is shown.