Concerned

Discussion in 'Forum updates and features!' started by GCFL, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GCFL

Message Count:
    I like the set-up of the forum but have some concerns about the traffic here. I would think that customers of the software would be very active here but I do not see that at all -Very few posts and very few visitors on any given day. Has this forum been more active in the past and if so, what has changed? My fear is that people who should be using the forum do not take the software seriously enough to inquire. I could be off base but has anyone else expressed any concern on how to increase traffic here? Remember, the value of any forum is measured by the participation of its membership.
  2. Chris_Houg

Message Count:
    The forum's been a lot busier. I'm thinking it might be a spring/summer thing for the temporary lack of inactivity.
  3. dmag

Message Count:
    I recently joined and posted a question about whether Ad Creator was still being offered, and directly requested a response from Marc Sylvester or somebody in the know. It's 3-4 days later and no reply.

The specific Ad Creator site is down and apparently has been for some time, yet there are links spewed all over the Web that supposedly still offer it.

To make things even more confusing, when you click on some of them, it redirects you to the Logo Creator product.

I try not to make snap judgments about people. Maybe somebody has been ill, or the company is in trouble, or it's just a one-person operation with no service capability -- but with a great looking Website that makes it look big.

Whatever the reason for not getting answers or for erratic links, I'm hoping that somebody can clear it up here.

Thanks.
  4. Chris_Houg

Message Count:
    Marc normally goes out of site when he's working hard on something and doesn't come up for air very often when he is. He'll answer his pm's/emails/posts when he gets a break or finishes.
  5. Daryl

Message Count:
    There would also be a number of people like myself who have been off just using, in my case my old Corporate version, updated to 5.1. I have not come to the forum in years but I am still using my software a great deal and making Logo's for a bunch of sites. Never really needed to much support. :image28:

The resent e-mailing of a sale product got me looking for my password. Now I am just looking around to see if there has been any new versions come out. Looks like its still 5.1? I am looking at buying another set.
  6. GCFL

Message Count:
    its at v5.2 now
  7. Daryl

Message Count:
    Hi GCFL,

Thank you very much, I appreciate that!

Daryl
  8. Wicked

Message Count:
    It seems to me that the forum mainly grabs the attention of people needing support rather than those interesting in sharing their time and or wisdom with the rest. There was a big rush in the forum a while back with a couple common problems a software application was experiencing. One of the hot issues were the photoobjects key was not working for anyone to get their free photobjects promised with the software. Something like this happens then a slew of people rave and rant the forum looking for answers. On the other hand when all is well or has been answered already things seem to be pretty mellow around here. Most of the staff here checks in on a somewhat regular bases but even our own staff discussions have fell quite little to nothing. I suppose with not much forum activity then there is little to talk about.

As far as the Ad Creator issue mentioned above I myself have not been privileged with any useful information. There may be a new product being created that is about to replace the Ad Creator and he no longer wants it on the market. You can not blame him though for a bunch of internet links pointing to the Ad Creator supposing that maybe he discontinued the product. He can not help the links around the net but if the links are of his own on his own websites saying to check out the Ad Creator and its not there then yes that would be something he will need to clean up as the time is available.

I do know he is working on some long time talked about and requested updates to some existing software titles as well as some new products that I am pretty confident will hold their own with the rest of the product line. Chris H. above there is right. Marc is well known to really hit a new project pretty deep the development cave where even we hear very little from him at the surface of the earth. When he arises he typically makes what announcements he needs to and attends to his messages customer inquiries. Aside from that any questions the forum staff here may be able to answer please bring it to our attention. If you experience any troubles getting exposure to your questions please message one of us directly via pm (private message) and we will do our best to help you out.

With all that said a slow day in the forum typically seems to mean there is not much problems or issues with the users. You are right though that membership participation is important to any forum and this business and forum is still growing and developing more and more as time progresses. The evolution to the business theme of the forum and business topics I am assuming was aimed at sparking participation in a general small business idea. Perhaps that approach needs re-evaluated or tweaked in places to bring back an interest in regular participation in the forum. With any ideas you or any might have feel free to post them here or in the suggestions area.

A forum is like any economy. It will have rough waves where repairs will be made but with the right care all will be well in the future.
  9. GCFL

Message Count:
    It seems to me that the forum needs to either be relocated to support only then and named as such or it needs more attention than simple moderation. Getting these kinds of things to grow is very difficult and I am no expert but I have a couple ideas for the forum but it really depends on what the vision of its owner has for its development. If it is meant to someday grow into a professional community, then I think it needs to be advertised as such and more tips, etc be provided. I will certainly add some as time permits. I also think it would be good to partner with another site ot forum that deals with like material. I suggest folks check out www.vois.com as a place to network.

Anyway, I have rambled but I would love to see more professional contacts be made here and maybe even more provider/customer projects be initiated some day in the future.
  10. h8er

Message Count:
    This forum used to be a great place to come and hang out and talk with others about many things, not just including logo creation. I very rarely visit it anymore, but do miss some of the contacts and friendships that I did have at one time here.

Marc made it a point to make an announcement about having 17,000 members....big deal! How many are actually active? When was the last time the database was cleaned to eliminate those that have never signed back in after joining? What does a number mean without any good forum content to back it up?

There were Mods and Admins here that played a big part in creating excitement for the LB product line and what it could/can do. I used to be one of them before I finally had enough of some of the ways Marc ran things and stormed out of here (which was not in a good way either).

The board needs Mods & Admins that take a role in developing the forum into a place members visit and contribute, not just sit around and wait for another new piece of software that they can get for free or throw links to their personal websites for monetary gain.
  11. Wicked

Message Count:
    Interesting post at that.. Why are you hating h8ter? Im only kidding and certainly see your entitlement to voice your concern. I think you took a couple low blows there but if thats how you feel then you've been heard. I am not sure attacking people that have donated a vast amount of their time about saying posting links for their own monetary gain was correct or very nice. In fact I think donating this much time as many of us has entitles us to a signature link and free software. Even the members are entitled to signature links whether that result in monetary gain or not. Signature links around here anyway probably raise an awareness if anything about what a person is trying to link too. Its a bit of a neanderthal <-- (cant spell) and out of date way to think you are going to make monetary gain. Nothing of any significance anyway in my opinion.

You make a lot of accusations but you probably don't know everything that is going on behind the scenes do you? Did you know Chris has had some serious things to deal with that keeps him from being able to be active here lately. Im not going to share his business here though. KD the last I heard has nothing more than Iphone internet access due to her own personal reasons I assume. As well myself have had real life things going on that of course will take priority over my online life. As far as your comments towards Marc Im sure most of us here know nothing of what it takes to maintain, develop, and manage a business of this magnitude since we've probably never done it. So I really can not speak for his affairs.

I would think even our remaining active members (which as of today you fall into) if they felt so passionately about the activity or environment of this forum they would come forward and ask what they could do to help or take upon themselves to create discussions rather than bad mouthing people who are having hard times right now and still trying to donate their available time. Theres not that many LB software products to donate as much time as we do just for free products. Having all the products helps us offer a better support to those having problems with the software since we are familiar with it. I myself have purchased 3 LB products before I got picked up here. I do what I do here out of the goodness of my being able and I enjoy the contacts and relationships here with the people as you stated.

Everything has its ups and downs. Right now is one of those downs but there is a smart enough group of people here to bring it back up when we are able to corrdinate a focus on it. EVerybody just has a lot going on right now. If this forum has to suffer activity than that is what it is but many members know when they come back here someone is going to put in a good and courteous effort to help them out whether they need this place right now or not. But your right, something to breath life back into this place is needed and Im sure will be applied in due time. Dicussions have happened on the issue. Its just a matter of turning the discussions into actions.

I think most people would probably agree with me on what I've said so far. I think you speak a lot out of personal anger with your post here rather than voicing an honest concern. I could be wrong. Maybe your view is exactly how everyone else see this. I really can't say. Maybe Marc should get rid of all of us so we are not getting rich off his business with our signature links..

Randy please help me keep this conversation professional as possible if we want to discuss it publicly otherwise feel free to send me a PM.
  12. h8er

Message Count:
    Hi Wicked!

Yes, I actually keep track of Chris (thru other boards that he's a member of and that I lurk) and I have talked with KD a few times. Not so much recently, but I do understand times are challenging for several Mods here.

I don't hate, but I do tell it as I see it...whether that be wrong or right to air this publically, but I only responded to help add to the conversation that was started. I gave many hours of love to this site and I struggle when I see that it's not going anywhere. Marc had a good idea in the recent changes and additional areas of the forum, but he lacked the support and knowledge base from his Mods --- whether that was a fault of their own part or not. When there are problems with Mods not being able to tackle the task that they are empowered to do, then a change of rank needs to take place in the best interest of maintaining the forum. As I look into the profiles of the current Mods, many have not visited or posted in quite some time.

As for Marc. I know he dives into the part of the business that truly makes him money, the software. He needs to be able to rely on his Mod staff to be able to properly maintain and grow the forum. I know he can't do it all himself.

Heck, I know I blew out of here in a huff...and I've never apologized for that because I felt like Marc didn't back the staff up when dealing with a few bad apples. Bad apples that are now no longer a part of this forum and have been banned, I might add. But, I do still use the LB products and stop in here from time to time to check on anything new. But, today, I was touched to say something about he condition of the forum and the lack of activity, because I personally know from first hand experience what it can be.

Btw, for anyone that does not know who I was prior to my 'h8er' account, you can view the post from 'Randy' and see that I was a former Admin here and supported Marc and his vision for the forum.
  13. GCFL

Message Count:
    Hmm, didn't mean to start something here. I think this site and the products have great potential. I do not have much to add to what has already been said since there seems to be some history BUT mods alone can not make a forum succeed. The users have to jump in. If they don't the forums flounder. That is how all sites work. For my part I have tried to add my help and comments as much as possible because I would like the site to succeed so if that helps..great! But again, the other users have to jump in. I have created a user area for designers for example and have started a blog. There are tools here to encourage input...people just have to be more involved than casual lurkers. In any event...I saw something about a contest. I think that is a great idea...best prize I can think of...give the design a prominant location on the forum for a month.

Duane
  14. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Duane,
    You've been fantastic in here recently.

Really and truly I appreciate your thread starters and the way you try and facilitate a conversation. You're just what the forum needs.

Jason (Wicked), I aint never giving you up.
    No way will I clear out all of my mods. You've all been terrific.

Randy (h8ter), I - at one time - truly valued you and your input here in the forum, but you went ballistic and blew yourself up! You literally removed yourself (deleted your account) from the forum and left a ton of threads hanging that made no sense once you deleted all of you posts. 1000s of them. That was way unprofessional and hurt the forum.

I do plan on getting this forum back into action.
    Randy, the fact that you've come back to post negative comments and bring up negative issues bothers me. Your "big deal" comment above bothers me.
    ... 17,000 members, no matter how many times they've logged in IS a big deal! I'm proud of that number.
  15. Wicked

Message Count:
    @ Randy--- Well placed statement and thanks for your honesty. I know you gave a lot of time too this place and I can understand how it can be an unliking to see it having hard times. Im sure your continued interest in wishing the forum well is appreciated given your willing to turn out some positive energy.

@GFCL-- You are right GFCL. You can not do it by yourself. If there were even 10 other non staff members here that offered a continued activity things would flourish a bit more to draw in the forum lurkers to participate more. But lately the member rotation seems to be this. A member puts in a solid effort to contribute and spike discussion and when they do not get much of a turn out from anyone active they just leave. We have a member called JustBill. We called him the Finder. He was great as posting content for discussion that was even useful at that. Then when I assume he probably got tired of little discussion on his threads he stopped. Thats when another active member shows up and starts the process over again. Seems the truely interested active members come in waves. Once the next wave gets here the first wave is tired and gone.
    I will see if Marc will coordinate with me and I will start a simple design contest that I do not want to get to complex. I think thats what went wrong last time we tried is too many people go involved with it and nobody really agreed. It just seemed like too much specification going on for a fun contest. However if anyone does have inciteful not too complex ideas (still say them if they are though) then I will host a contest if Marc will let me and maybe he will want to get in on it. I will give away a free product from TLC Addons and perhaps he might want to give away a software application. Maybe something simple like your best web 2.0 design.. Leave it at that and the winner wins. Perhaps allow LB software products and photoshop/illustrator to do the work in.. Just rambling now though. As well post the winning designer. Maybe we could make a sticky thread with our hall of famers posting each winner of every contest there with there design.. Something to work for.
  16. 3DS

Message Count:
    I believe there's plenty of traffic in this forum. So to me this has been a non-issue from the beginning. I am of course comparing to several other forums, chats and groups I belong to as co-manager and assistant manager of...and this forum has nothing to worry about when it comes to traffic, and that's a fact. There are tons of members here that participate and share plenty of info, resources and advice.

As mentioned it is true they come in waves; and it also depends on when we all decide to come here to check in, catch up and participate. Sometimes there's only a few new entries, and sometimes there is a page of new entries waiting for me. Those loads of new comments may have came soon after I left. You just never know...until you come back to find this out. It may be around dinnertime or it may be 3am, but new posts do come in at all hours. The nocturnal person that I am, I sometimes have seen more interesting activity in the middle of the night with a few members here, lol.

Another good reason I use the "Newest Posts" as my goto link everytime I revisit. I go straight to the newest posts, and decide to pick & choose the most important and relevent issues I would like to read and/or participate in. Sometimes it's because I only have a certain amount of time to "check-in". But it's always because I have my rounds of many other places to "check in" & participate as well.

It's a shame to see bad blood flying like I just read, but it happens.

I will always try to post whenever I have some useful advice to add from my skill set from art college or learned from my own experiences beyond school. People can take it or leave it, and it won't bother me if they leave it, lol. I met a lot of kewl people here so far and glad to be a part of this forum. I welcome more members who I can add to that list.

...and a big Congrats on the 17,000th member level of SBDN Forum!
  17. h8er

Message Count:
    Marc, I do apologize for bringing up any ill-feelings. You did notice that I do recognize that I left in a huff, I hope. I believe there were faults from both of us that led to my departure.

I have no intention for anything bad here, just hoping that by bringing to light some things that I have noticed, it may require action on others to step up and help make this forum the best it can be.

I will now leave and hope --- and wish --- you the best!
  18. KD-did

Message Count:
    IMHO the forum does have a silent majority but avid readers which accounts for the number of members. Many, many don't bother to sign in unless they have to look at something and if they don't sign in and only come as guest and the What's Going On doesn't reflect that... the forums software doesn't keep track of the number of guest it has, like it does registered members It is true that many come just looking for "how to" answers, to look for ideas and to learn. The forum provides a conduit for communication, for people wanting to ask questions and receive answers (via email and PMs) but are intimidated to post publicly because they have never participated in a discussion forum... or fear that they might appear silly or unintelligent.

If you want to get a more accurate idea of the traffic check out the number of "views" on any thread... just click on a header.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.