Color photo to silhouette using TLC

Discussion in 'Techniques' started by KD-did, Apr 26, 2008.

1. KD-did

Message Count:
    It is possible to make your own silhouette clip art using TLC from a color photograph. Ideally you would take your photograph against a PLAIN background void of any texture or pattern. Light colors are best (white or pastels) For best results when shooting photographs of people have them dress in darker colors. The better the quality of your photo the better results you will have.

If photos are taken in a series and loaded frame by frame into appropriate software your silhouettes can become an animation. As seen on TV....LOL
    You can even make old time art work silhouettes for framing after enlarging, printing and cutting out. Printing them small would be great for customizing scrapbooks.

Photo is not mine originally.It was an taken from an ad for Mac computers . (Artifacts on images are from screen shot).

1) Import photo into TLC. Resize (+/-) for canvas and/or image if necessary so that image fills most of the canvas.
    2) Export as either Tgif (or Tpng ) depending how much white is in the image. Use eyedropper to remove background color if taken against a colored background. Title each export differently to make it easier to keep track.
    3) Delete imported image from canvas.
    4) Import exported image back into TLC.
    5) Color black and export again
    6) Delete again, importing once again and color black. Now you are ready to use your own custom made silhouette in any project.
    Use image editor for clean up if necessary.
  2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Simply amazing.

I'm going to have your write a book on all of your tricks KD...
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
    Like I said in another thread . "When you bought TLC you didn't realize you had bought more than a program ...you bought a tool chest full of possibilities."

If you have even a simple image/photo you can remove background make image a negative, import into TLC and color it black to make silhouttes
  4. MasterDesign

Message Count:
    Nice one KD!
    no need to trace in photoshop or illustrator to make silhouettes...
    ...who knew!?
    MD
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    This technique can also be used for converting colored clip art or photo objects into silhouettes.
  6. Ohiosweetie

Message Count:
    oh wow, who woulda thunk it! I'll be using this technique.
    Thanks KD.
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
    Another interesting variation is using white on the color image.