Clear Type Tuner for XP

Discussion in 'Resource & Recommendations' started by KD-did, Jun 26, 2005.

1. KD-did

Message Count:
    Cleaner font viewing for XP and Windows 95

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

For Windows 95
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/grayscal/smoother.aspx

If your browser doesn't allow this to work use IE...it is worth it.
  2. D RAT2

Message Count:
    That sounds great for improving the visual quality of your text on screen, but does it effect the output quality, say for printing ?
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
    I really don't know....all I can say is even though my display resolution is set at 1024X768 everything including icons, avatars,graphics and text have a sharper cleaner look no matter where they are encountered.

Just wish I had set up an experiment before downloading and installing.
  4. Texas

Message Count:
    Clear Type Answer

Ask a friend at Microsoft, the clear type wizards and settings are ONLY for display purposes, it has NO effect on the output or printing. Hope this answers your question...

Randy
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    That is rather interesting...because I am seeing a difference in an export I did after downloading and installing and the same export before installation....Things appear bigger without increasing file size.I am still seeing a difference between the exports on a different computer without the download there is a smoother look to the exports after the download...

Here both imports are the same size and type of export....see attachment for side by side comparison...
  6. D RAT2

Message Count:
    Right, your exports look cleaner on screen. But if you were to print it, it would look the same as before you installed the software. Also those who don't have the software installed will not see a difference in your exports. I guess what I am getting at is that I want to see my exports the way others see them. Besides if you have a good quality monitor you shouldn't be able to tell that much of a difference, I would think ?
  7. KD-did

Message Count:
    My question is...is this a situation where we are seeing what we are suppose to be seeing in the first place? I had saved the 1st export to a floppy..as fullsize and saved the 2nd export to the same floppy fullsized...then looked at them on the same brand monitor set at the same resolution....and there is a difference.When printing there is almost no difference except the image is a little larger on the 2nd export (while the canvas shows to be the same size)and curved lines are slightly smoother after installation of software, especially noted in the cursive font. Red circles on the attachment show where there are differences in appearances on the screen and in print.

Keeping in mind that both exported out of TLC exactly the same way, they should be carbon copies but they are not and the subtilise are not lost when printing.
  8. KD-did

Message Count:
    Futher reading on this seems be saying is this tuner lets XP users see things the way they should be and was lacking.
    jkontherun

Forevergeek

Zoinger blog

http://research.microsoft.com/~jplatt/cleartype/

To make the best choices of fonts is is better to see them as they should appear.
  9. MasterDesign

Message Count:
    Anyway, everything looks more clear on my screen now, thanx Katie
    MD