Can't Open Ver. 6 TLC Templates to Edit Them

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by pwworks, May 7, 2012.

1. pwworks

Message Count:
    I downloaded and installed ver. 6.0 on my Windows 7 pc a few hours ago. I created a few logos to get the feel of it, then saved them. But when I tried to open them again to edit, they would not open. Instead, I get this error message:

fault(Server.Error.Request)
    HTTP request error

I assume this is a problem many others have had. So far, the new version looks great, but right now I'm stuck not being able to edit.

Thanks for the Help!

- PW

2. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    I can duplicate your error, so I have 1 or 2 or 3 explanations:

Version 6.0 requires a folder for each separate logo. You must have a folder to store the folders in. You can store your logos on your desktop, or wherever, but you must create a folder first, if you do not use the default location.

1. When you are selecting a logo to edit: are you selecting FILE / OPEN ? Then nothing appears show up for you to open? This choice is found in the upper left most part of TLC window-- next to it is Modify, Export, and web help menu. Be sure to click on TLC Templates afterward.

2. Are you just trying to save your logo's you have created to your desktop? It appears TLC 6.0 doesn't like that very much, think along these lines "I'm sorry Dave, I can't open the pod bay doors". You must first create a folder on your desktop, then save your logos into that folder.

Version 6.0 requires a folder for each separate logo. You must have a folder to store the folders in. I love to save a file to my desktop, I do it with MS Word all the time, so why wont it work for the TLC?

When you save a logo you are actually saving a number of files withing a folder-- one file for each element.

Attached Files:

3. pwworks

Message Count:
    I select FILE, then OPEN LOGO. I then navigate to the folder I created to store these particular logos in. (Not the default folder, and not on the desktop.) I open that folder, then select the particular logo. I click on the logo (folder), then click OK. Then I get the error.

(There is no option to click on "TLC Templates" in the drop-down.)

When I saved the logo, I simply clicked SAVE AS, then entered a name for the logo. This is what I've always done in the past, and there are no instructions to follow with this new version to indicate otherwise.

As for an individual folder, it appears that Windows 7 creates a folder that all of the elements are saved in. I created a folder for this particular batch of logos, but each one seems to have it's own folder when I save it. (If bypass the software and simply go into My Documents and open the folder for one of the logos, then yes, I can see the individual components.)

1) Do these have to be saved as a template in order to open them again?

With the last version I used, I simply selected "save", and a logo creator file was saved that I could reopen to edit. Is it not this way with the updated version?

2) How do I open the one's I've already created so I can modify them?

Thanks again.

- PW

4. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Give this a try:
    1. No.

2. Open the folder that contains a logo you want to open. Right mouse click on the TLC file. Select "open with", you may have to browse to the TLC exe. file. Ensure you direct the "open with" to TLC ver. 6.0.

5. pwworks

Message Count:
    Thanks. I did try that. What happens is it opens TLG 6.0. Not the logo within the software program, just the software. I also tried saving a couple of test logos as templates so I could open them from "My Templates". That doesn't work either. I get the same error message I mentioned initially.

*I took a stock template and simply saved it several times using different numbers in the file name: Test1, Test2, Test3. (Not saved as a template. Just saved like I did with the ones I made: "Save As", then named them.) THOSE I can open from the drop-down menu. The ones I created, which are variations of the same original logo but with different dimensions and a few font changes...those are the problems.

Thanks again!

6. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    Man, this is gonna take a while, but I'm sure I'll figure it out!

7. pwworks

Message Count:
    LOL! Growing pains!

Should I make you a Jing video of what I'm looking at?

8. tgiangreco

Message Count:
    I have the same situation. At this point I'm trying to recreate my past work from scratch. My v5 logo's, as PW also said, are a single .tlc file. I can't find a way to open it. I've already tried all the same things discussed here.
    The biggest problem I have recreating is getting colors to match perfectly. I can't seem to get it just right.

9. pwworks

Message Count:
    One thing I've confirmed: don't use decimal points in naming TLC files. In the past, I differentiated variations of a logo this way: Logo1, Logo1.2, and Logo1.3 would all be different versions of Logo1. This was a convenient way to identify and categorize variations on a theme. I might also include the date, like 5.8.12. BUT if you do this with V6.0, you can't re-open the TLC file.

In addition, it doesn't help to go back and rename files without the decimal point. It seems the damage has already been done. (So I'll need to continue to use V5 to open older TLC files. If I want them to work in the world of V6.0, I'll need to re-create them. That will mean a lot of extra time.)

I also found that the software doesn't allow you to name a file with a * character. It won't let you do it. It will allow ")", and "&", and those characters don't prevent the file from being re-opened. I didn't try any others.

It would be a good idea to tweak the program so it doesn't allow a decimal point in naming (and any others that should be blocked) if that can be done. It would save time on the support side down the road.

At this point, I need to re-create the V6.0 logos I've already made, then see if I encounter any other problems.

gcuneo2 likes this.
  10. CAL

Message Count:

I'm on a Mac and couldn't select a previous logo to edit. So I dumped V5 in the trash, went back and clicked on the original folder containing the file I wanted to edit - bingo! Success. It opened. Cheers.

11. tgiangreco

Message Count:
    I tried that but all that happens is v6 comes up with a blank canvas. Remember, v5 didn't use folders like it does now. All I had was the single .tlc file. I probably lost any other associated files long ago.

12. CAL

Message Count:
    I've tried again on several logos with success.I simply click on the folder (within my TLC folder on my desktop ) that contains the .tlc file I want to open and it appears in place for me to edit. (My OS is MAC OS X 10.7.4)

13. Bob Towner

Message Count:
    I'm having the same problem. I designed an image, saved it in a folder, and now can't reload it. I'm afraid that's useless to me as I need to make modifications from time to time. Please let me know when this is fixed.

Another item for the wish list for future versions - a ruler function that permits items to be positioned accurately with respect to the canvas dimensions.

14. Deb Lane

Message Count:
    I can't open the template I saved. I see it when I go to my templates, but there doesn't seem to be a way to open it.

15. gcuneo2

Message Count:
    When you are saving the templates are you using a period in the name, such as "mylogo.version 1"P.

16. Deb Lane

Message Count:
    No I used a name with no special characters

17. Guy Monroe

Message Count:
    CANNOT Open Saved Templates: MAC/ APPLE SOLUTION - CHANGING FOLDER NAMES
    To successfully open a Laughing Bird file, The elements folder name must match the internal .tlc document name perfectly. When organizing templates, renaming is commonplace. Upon launching a folder Logo Creator copies external folder name and seeks matching .tlc document. Example: When you first saved the document you named it: "the happy bird 640x175" and perhaps saved it to your desktop. You finish your mods and decide to move to your docs folder.. When you do, noticed folder appears in a-z order “the”. You desire it to appear in the “b” a-z order. You change the name to: "happy bird 640x175". Problem solved on the outside, yet creating trouble for application.
    Your files are nice and orderly. However, you go to open file "happy bird 640x175" and get the dreaded “Cannot open file” message. My guess is, when you open any file, Logo Creator copies current folder name "happy bird 640x175", and compares it to existing internal .tlc doc called "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5". No match. Response: "This is NOT" or "HTTP error" or “CANNOT OPEN” message. SOLUTION: 1) Highlight and copy exactly current folder name every space and or dash "happy bird 640x175". 2) Open folder of same name. 3) locate "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5" inside. 4) Highlight name every space and or dash EXCEPT the .tlc ending. 5) Replace "the happy bird 640x175.tlc5" with "happy bird 640x175.tlc" External folder name now matches .tlc document name. Bring Logo creator to front, select open template, navigate to modified folder. it will open now. I hope helpful. Blessings…. :)

18. KD-did

Message Count:
    NOTE : In most cases the users are clicking to open template first BUT must launch TLC first and then open template to avoid can't open message.