Bk Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by blackknight, Nov 28, 2005.

1. blackknight

Message Count:
    HELLO ALL, JUST A QUESTION:
    I recently bought a new Toshiba M70 laptop and I had 14 days to purchase the 3 year warranty which the 14 days are drawing near, so I have to quickly make a decision. It comes with a 1 year warranty anyway. My fears are after I made the purchase from a well known chain store, I had several people come to me and say, I hope you didn't buy it from so and so store and the reason was because their service is so poor. They are slow and they try to get out of doing the work. I have heard this from several people without any good comments. I don't want to be stuck either because I believe the warranty is a good thing, normally.but... What are your thoughts, pro's and cons my good people?
  2. Chris

Message Count:
    BK I can say from experience that I have never purchased the extended warranty on any tech items I have purchased. Toshiba is a great company. Now keep in mind the retail store you bought it from didn't make the laptop so don't worry about the rumors on them unless you need to return it to them. I use to be the Store Manager for a Large retail company that delt with technology, laptops, PCs etc..... Toshiba is a very good company. So in the end it is up to you. But me no I wouldn't. Well I hope this helped. You will get allot of diffrent answers, but noone will ever agree on a subject like this.
  3. cybrnetico

Message Count:
    how ironic, I am currently working on an old Toshiba Tecra 800 PIII laptop, and what did I find inside all original parts...that is an odd thing. so Mac27 is right, forget the extended warranty, Toshiba rocks in my book too.
  4. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Generally speaking, warranties are only as good as the people providing the service warranty. Extended warranties are traditional means for the retailer to make a few extra bucks selling you something you don't need. Although I am not familiar with Toshiba (on a Mac), I cast my vote with Mac27 and Cybrnetico ... pass on the extended warranty.
  5. Gravy

Message Count:
    What he said ^ you already have a 12 month warranty. Used with reasonable protection and cautions ( I would'nt reccomend trying to use it while white water rafting) it should last a long time. Long enough that current technology will surpass it within 2 years and by that time you will probably want a newer one anyhoo. I agree that extended warranties are not worth the extra expense. As a side note road hazard warranties for new tires are'nt worth the paper they are written on, I used to sell tires.
  6. Borpean

Message Count:
    Well now see? I once used my old mac on a white water rafting trip and it got wet! I knew I should have signed up for extended warenty!! darn those rapids!!!
    :D
  7. D RAT2

Message Count:
    On a major appliance purchase, sure I go for the extended warranty. On computers I pass, if there is a defect in the product it will more than likely show up within the first year. Second if a problem rears it's ugly head after that point, you can more than likely repair it yourself at a cost lower than the extended warranty price. Also with the price dropping dramatically on laptops and PC's, in another two years you will probably be able to get a laptop out of a box of cereal.
  8. cybrnetico

Message Count:
    keeping my eye on those cheerios boxes :D