Beware SPAM BOT on forums...

Discussion in 'Raves and Rants' started by Syrus XL, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Syrus XL

Message Count:
    I just got a PM from a spambot - called Jeanette. You need to check this user out, before the entire forum is 'flooded' with PM's to all users.

:image27:
  2. reb_76

Message Count:
    yeah, I was just about to report it...sigh.
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
    Thanks for the heads up. This will be dealt with immediately.Please forward the PMs to me.
  4. 3DS

Message Count:
    me too. it was a RE: that said "spam removed"...and I didn't even send anything to this person. definitely weird! I guess that this means you already took care of it and removed it?
  5. KD-did

Message Count:
    Yes, thanks to the heads up we were able to take action quickly.
  6. Randy... Guest

Message Count:
    Thank you to everyone for reporting this! We monitor the boards very closely to head off spammers and remove them almost as quickly as they post.

This is the first time I've seen it happen thru pm, but if anyone ever has a reason to believe something's not quite right with something they recieve thru pm here, don't hesitate to bring it to our attention.

Thanks!!!
  7. reb_76

Message Count:
    the very odd thing about the pm from it was that the only thing it contained was a quote on Buddhism...not your usual spam ;)
  8. Syrus XL

Message Count:
    I recognized it straight away only because I had the same spambot message on my forums back last year.

Since then I've taken extra precautions and now implemented ReCAPTCHA, which I expect Marc will use when he upgrades.
    :image28:
  9. simple

Message Count:
    we use spambuster with v bulletin , it works a treat but obviously not 100% accurate as i often have to screen some posts personally from the reports that appear in the crew section. but no spam is better than some spam...