any good philosophy on marketing

Discussion in 'Marketing Tips' started by KakeNjodi, Apr 24, 2008.

1. KakeNjodi

Message Count:
    i was wondering if we could get a discussion on marketing going... what works, what doesnt etc
  2. Wicked

Message Count:
    Well I guess we could go a million places with talking about marketing so Ill start... What Ill say here i guess is just some of my experience and opinions because lets face it there are many right ways to market. Keeping in mind there are a thousand wrong ways to market as well.

It really hits a sore spot with me these days to watch so many just SPAM everybody to death hoping that there is one unfortunate person who is enjoying there first day ever on the internet. On the business I run I offer support to my customers in many different forms and one of those forms being email support. I am clouded with SPAM emails everyday and have to pick through and find the ones that are legit. Even worse it forces me to create a lot of custom spam filters that catches certain phrases or words and deletes those messages completely before I even see them. Sadly so far one persons email that was legit was caught by the filter and made me look like I didn't care to respond to his email. That only being one form of spam I think its safe to say if you are interested in running a legit online business then do not use any marketing tactic that is shady in nature.. If you are not sure what kind of outlook a marketing tactic is going give your business then just dont do it.

On top of not doing any marketing that seems like it might be the wrong thing to do I also I do not recommend paying anyone to market for you either other than maybe google adwords , adbrite, or something in that nature.

I ran a couple of google adwords campaigns and they turned out great. Getting good results from google adwords I quickly realized I was being copied by my competitors though. Anybody can go to a keyword spy website and see what you use to turn around the results that you do with adwords. I spent my time studying on how to make a good campaign for others to just rip off of me. Then campaign is no longer unique and just falls into the crowed of copycats. However you can gain traffic from adwords its just no longer for me.

After ditching the adwords program I started studying SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and how to achieve natural search results. I again put a lot of time into doing my own reading and research using what I felt was the best techniques. I did not base my SEO on just on ebook or website. I gathered information from many of them and made my own way of optimizing my website which I have gathered and see increased results from every month. Its not where I want it yet but I am happy.

Now when people search for my chosen search phrase I went after I am on the first page of almost every major search engine and usually the #1 natural result below the paid sponsor listings. In my web logs I constantly see where people try to find out how I did it or how I am doing it by using the keyword spy services on the internet. However since I do not use an adwords campaign and the search results are natural those people that try to spy on what I am doing get nothing. The best they can do is see my meta keywords and description on my page source code but it goes much deeper than that. So with all that said I strongly recommend anyone to take a strong stand on dong good SEO with there site before they run around trying to spend all kinds of money. Also do not pay some guy that says he will do the SEO for your website because you will end up being the number one result in google alright but it will be for some ridiculous search phrase like "cheap donkey juice" or something. If you do that make sure you are 100 percent sure they are legit.

Natural search engine marketing is the best by far way to advertise in my opinion. Lets say you pay Mr. Joe Smoe 120 dollars to advertise on his site for 30-60 days. You are probably going to get a lot more traffic from Joe if his website is pretty good than you are from the Search Engines.. So why does it make sense to even fool with the Search Engine thing in the first place? Because every visitor coming from the Search Engine has found you by typing in exactly what they are looking for and that is the Search Engines job to give the most relevant search result for what someone is looking for. That customer shows up and is interested in what you have to offer before he/she ever gets there. Visitors from Joe Smoe's site will for the majority just be passers by especially if Joes website does not relate to yours very well.

Sorry this is so long not sure if anyone will read it but that just a small take on my point of view.
  3. Wicked

Message Count:
  4. KakeNjodi

Message Count:
    Thanks for the insight-- but everybody is fighting for top space on search engines-- there has to be more to it than top listing... I mean I buy books in a book store because i like the cover and not where it is on the shelf-- is there a rule book for getting people interested once you get them to click?
  5. laughingbird

Message Count:
    Correct.
    There is more to it than top placement. You've got to get them buy from you once you get them to your site. A bad website will chase them away.

But this is true for all marketing. Buying commercial space on TV may bring the customers into your store... but you still have to get them to buy.

With a commercial, you're looking for customers.
    With the search engine, the customer is looking for you.

For example, a customer typing in "Logo Software" will magically find "The Logo Creator" listed at number one. (Coincidence? I think not ...).

That customer is LOOKING for logo software. They've already decided to buy that specific product. Fighting for the number one spot with this key word is very important.

Search Engine placement should be a MAJOR factor in your marketing dollars.
  6. KakeNjodi

Message Count:
    I see that... I was laughing cuz i hit the link you you gave and saw AAA logo design right under yours...
    I guess that will help them in the yellow pages but not online...

I think what I am seeing, then, is TLC users are primarily online businesses? My business is a very local one and I don't really use TLC for online stuff-- I have it on my letterhead and brochures I make--so I was asking more about that kind of thing... but thanks you guys...:image16-1:
  7. laughingbird

Message Count:

Well, no. Not necessarily.
    But anybody doing anything online needs to market to the search engines.

...You can use TLC weather you're an online or offline company. :D
  8. vjnes

Message Count:
    Marketing In Your Own Backyard

I've tried many free ads for my virtual assistance business but you pretty much get what you pay for with that. I have also paid money to others for advertising and never received anything except 1 prospect and a few overseas scams.

I've had some wonderful prospects who contacted me from my flyers. I believe that word a mouth, dropping your flyers or brochures inside of screen doors works. Like your average pizza joint drums up business by going to offices and dropping off menus at the front desk or putting their menus underneath windshield wipers of cars, why not do the same for your business? Drop off a few business cards at libraries in your area, restaurants, fast food joints, malls, any place that has heavy traffic. I've done that, also advertising on MerchantCircle is fine as well, helps to spread exposure and you can network with other merchants in the area.

Another thing you may want to consider is having some notepads, sticky pads, etc made up with your logo, may as well have some refrigerator magnets made up and throw in a few pens or pencils up while you are at. I haven't tried the above but I'm going to.

You can also put together an e-book for your business and market that, also if you wanted to go all out, why not put together a nice colorful eye catching presentation of your business, bind it and mail out to a few small businesses in your area? It is a bit costly due to the color printer, binder materials and postage but you are bound to impress a few people and they could possibly pass it on to someone who may need your services.

Another way would be to advertise in your local Pennysaver under Services, that way you are reaching out to many in your area. : ) I haven't done so for my business, but will after I revamp my site. My main goal is to build a virtual assistant site within Dreamweaver and host it but there isn't nearly enough time for all that I want to do.

I would love to hear other options of marketing. I would like to learn about SEO as well. I know the only page of my VA site isn't indexed and I believe that may be because I didn't pay Homestead an extra $60 per month to submit my site to Google, Yahoo, etc.
  9. Wicked

Message Count:
    I only have just a sec to make this post but so you know.. Submitting your site to the search engines is free. So best not to pay that 60 dollars. Here is one place that does it.
    http://www.evrsoft.com/fastsubmit/

All of those advertising methods you mentioned are probably the best turn around of them all though they reach less people. Be careful with some of those methods though.. Personally for me when I find a business flyer under my wiper or in my screen door I do not take kindly to it.. i think its because someone has touched or tampered with my property in a sense to physically spam me. If its under my wiper I prefer it be automotive service and if its in my screen door I would prefer it be from somebody who is offering home services at the least.. Everything else though when it comes to flyer and small word of mouth and business cards are pretty effective..
  10. KD-did

Message Count:
    One free way to get some exposure for your site is put a link in your signature under your profile when you join forums then be an active member.
  11. youbackbut Banned

Message Count:
    learn everyday,,,i agree
    Counsellor, based in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen, offering Counselling to both individuals and couples for addiction, anxietyCounselling Aberdeen
    Hypnotherapy Edinburgh, Hypnosis Aberdeen, hypnotherapist Edinburgh, Hypnotherapist Glasgow
    The Hypnotherapy Aberdeen Nlp in Aberdeen listings from Smile Local business directory provides contact details for Hypnotherapy And Nlp in and around Aberdeen
  12. Cookieman

Message Count:
    Good points so far and the link option is the best. As we know they use relevancy as the most important factor in search engine placement.

The best SEO site that is not heavily linked will not rank as high.

I use this saying when trying to get the point across to customers... "You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkey's"

So if your links are on other high ranking sites then your site will travel up the ladder. I work with a lot of web sites and use the Google Webmaster Tools on all of them and the sites with the heaviest links coming in are getting the best rankings. This does not mean you should not perfect your SEO.

Google clearly states that they want relevant content on every page and you should not duplicate content in META or on your web site.

Also, your customers are the best people to market to. Marc just gave a free logo set for Christmas on this forum and stuff like that goes a long way.

One of my biggest problems with many businesses is they offer incentives for first time buyers and nothing for the devoted customer.

So, locally find other sites that are similar or relevant and trade links.

The more links the better, I have sites with 1300 real links. That is years of building and contacting other web sites. They rank very high on most of their keywords.

Marc is also correct about getting people to purchase. I'm crafting that now on my cookie web site and constantly trying to make it better.

Then finally content that is changing and expanding. Your site needs to have plenty of content and new information relevent to your business and industry.

I'm not sure what your site is, but make a special content section for local news and happenings. Search engines will crawl the new content and index you under the town and other areas of interest.

So, set up Google Webmaster Tools, clean up your META information, reduce duplication, start getting linked on other web sites and add content as much as you can.

Not sure if this helps

David
  13. brain

Message Count:
    i think marketing is not only confined to SEO there is much more to it. You can take help of adwords to be on top but it wont last for long as you face tough competition. the best way to be on top is to find a perfect blend of keywords that you shall target along with the online marketing campaign that you shall do to promote your rankings.

your competitor can very easily find out the keywords that you target. so be it! but your marketing plan must be designed in such a way that the target audience is aware of your presence on the internet.

for example there are many famous bloggers that pull a huge traffic on their site and the readers trust what they write. one link to your website from their blog can be worth million dollars. how? this is where your thinking and planning comes in!

Brain,
    senior designer and consultant