Am I screwed, or what?

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by Rockrz, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Rockrz

Message Count:
    I had a little hardrive problem last week, and I had to install a new drive in my PC.

I purchased the Value Pak, and thought that I had it in my downloads folder, but apparently I don't.

Am I going to be able to download this again?
    Or, am I S.O.L.?

I know you guys have record of my purchase, and I know that you have the download available, so I really don't see any problem with me downloading this again.

I do have my unlock key...

Whassup with this situation?

2. Rockrz

Message Count:
    Nevermind...

I found on the download help page where I can enter my order number and password and get the download again.

This time I'll make sure I put the zip file in my downloads folder, that I always have a backup of.

thanks...

3. Lats

Message Count:
    Very good advice :)

4. Rockrz

Message Count:
    Yeah, I used to have a slave drive inside my tower that I backed up to, but then I got some sort of virus that "un-formatted" the drive somehow and made it where you couldn't get any info off of it.

Thankfully, my C drive was intact even though the virus had taken out some critical Windows files and I couldn't boot up.

I just slapped a brand new drive in it, and took my C drive down to a PC shop and they recovered all my files for one hour's labor ($55.00):6:

I purchased a new Western Digital external drive and had them put my files on that.

Then, I installed a USB 2.0 card so I could have hi-speed USB action with my new external drive.

I now keep my back-up on my external drive, and I keep the power to that drive turned off unless I'm backing up to it. And, I'm fixing up one of my spare internal drives into an enclosure to make it into an external drive so I can have two back-ups!

Can't have too many back-ups.

5. Lats

Message Count:
    Thanks for the info, I've been considering getting somethng like that myself. How does that combination work speed wise - perhaps comparing copying a large from between 2 internals?

6. Rockrz

Message Count:
    It's working out great.

I keep all my files inside My Documents, and when I first got my files and transfered them to my PC, it took 2.5 hours!

Then I found that I was on a standard USB 1.1, so I went a bought a USB 2.0 card and slapped it in right quick (only $30). In fact, I think I read somewhere that USB 2.0 is actually faster than a Fire Wire connection. They have cards that have both if you need it for about $60 at CompUSA.

I have about 12gigs of files, and once I switched to USB 2.0 it only took about 15 minutes to back up all my files.

I've been using a program that compresses the files called "Second Copy". They are used by Intel Corp, and can be found online at: http://www.centered.com/

It's a great program that can be setup to automatically back up every night. But, I've now got mine set to where I have to manually back up my files because I keep the power to my external drive turned off.

I figure if the power is off, then it would be much harder for a virus to do anything to my backup drive, should I get another virus. I've been lucky . . . only one major vrus in over 4 years of computing with my computer.

I'm on hi-speed cable now, so I wanted to take this extra step to protect my backup.

I happen to have 3 80gig internal drives now that I'm not using (that are being replaced under warranty by Western Digital) and I'm going to be converting them to external using a kit I found at: http://www.htcnetstore.com/al3usbexenrb.html

It's a Great idea, and you can carry your drive with you if you needed to, as long as you're careful with it.

7. Lats

Message Count:
    That sounds great to me, thanks.

I use secondcopy myself for auto backups, from the main drive to second internal, and also up to my linux box - great program.

8. LogoManiac

Message Count:
    You seem a tad worried about virus' and such and you mentioned you were on cable. It would be prudent to have a firewall setup if you don't already.With the number of new "types" of viri , worms , and such...it should be standard protocal for EVERYONE to use a firewall.

9. Rockrz

Message Count:
    I have Norton's best firewall (Norton Internet Security 2004), but it didn't help.

The virus attacked Norton and made it to where Norton couldn't connect to the internet (although I could surf all I wanted) to update virus definitions.

I went and found an article on Norton's site about this, and it told me to update my "Live Update", which I did and then reboot my PC.

Somehow, this destroyed a bunch of System 32 files and my machine could not boot up. After sepending several hours trying to repair this, I finally threw in the towel and wen and bought a new hardrive and started over from scratch.

At some point you have to figure that spending all that time on a dead end road is no good. By getting a new hardrive, I knew I was going to be back up and running within a couple of hours.

I didn't have time to keep throwing at the problem. Dell tech support was about as useless as they could be. Their support has been worthless on the 3 occasions that I've needed them in the past 2 1/2 years that I've owned their machine.

If I ever buy another new Dell machine, I'm not paying a dime for their tech support because it's useless.