Adding new png files to logo creator etc.

Discussion in 'The Logo Creator' started by mike m, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mike m

Message Count:
    Hi Guys

Before I try and do damage. Does anyone know:-

1. If we can add outsourced png elements to either an existing logocreator element directory or make a new element directory that will come up in the logos/elements drop-down menu?
    2. If we can put all of the existing logocreator elements into one directory - either an existing or a new one which will be added to the drop-down menu for easier access, rather than having them linked to a pack? :attention

Thanks
  2. mike m

Message Count:
    Adding new png files to logo creator etc. Postscript

I would ideally like to set up a few element/png file directories according to type and not originating pack, recognised by tlc and added to the dropdown. E.g. I have just sifted thru elements looking for rectangles for logo backgrounds, setting up a directory for 'rectangles' would help future searches and so on.

Thanks

Mike M (who needs a new handle - how about 'laughingcyberdump' inspired by three of the members I have interacted with thus far?!) :attention
  3. KD-did

Message Count:
    Mike, my thought is what kind problems could it cause with future updates?There is V4 free update coming shortly. For shapes and extra dodads I am far more likely to use dingbats because of their versilitity..they can be custom colored, outline, colored gradient without masking, filled with images and ..etc. :banana
  4. mike m

Message Count:
    PNG additions etc

Katie

Thanks for the reply - so prompt and late (for you, early for me)!!

I would not be aware of what problems it may or may not cause with upgrading - whether upgrading would delete added folders etc., whether elements are upgraded as well as the program itself (wouldn't have thought so as they are png). Copying elements rather than moving to new folders may work if there are problems - thus leaving the original elements intact and in their original location. A drag to do, but then makes work easier thereafter if possible.

Marc's territory I suppose (know he's v. busy)

I'll wait for some responses and the free upgrade before doing anything.

If you speak to Marc, could you remind him I posted a grateful reply to his last private message to me. If he was confused by it, tell him 'on sale' meant 'on special offer;' not sure afterwards if our supposed mutual English language let us down. If he did understand the message but wasn't sure or couldn't say, tell him the value pack.

Thanks again

Mike
  5. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Hi Mike!

Regarding the addition of png files to TLC's program ... although you possibly could, I'm not sure that would in fact make using them any easier at all, and depending on how many you were adding, it could make using/finding them much more difficult!

As easy as it is to import images to a TLC project ...
    1. File menu > import
    2. Modify menu > replace the image with your own

I think you could find your png files faster out of a folder of your own, that you either kept on your desktop, or created a shortcut to. You'd also have the advantage of controlling how many of those objects you viewed at a single glance, by keeping that folder open in a separate window while you work.

Just a thought ... :)

As to a new handle, although I don't know you well enough yet to offer one off the top of my head, you might consider looking at your email address (where my moniker comes from).;)

-flot
  6. mike m

Message Count:
    png files etc.

Flot

Thanks for that.

Just trying to make finding elements a bit quicker - a separate folder for my own imported elements makes sense if I can't do the above.

Had no problems importing elements, have had trouble importing png elements back that I had previously exported in transparent format for editing. A White background reappears. Tried the remove background command in tlc after import but creates fuzz around the object.

Need to crack this one (in this instance I exported it first to delete part of a circular swoosh - no 22 - before importing it back to make it appear that it was wrapping around the logo (front to back) rather than placed in front of it. (will probably make this a new thread)

Mike M
  7. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Ahh! I've experienced that same thing, but didn't know what I had done to create it. I wonder if you converted them to a tiff or jpeg first if that would help? Also Shelly might have some tricks for masking parts of existing elements that would eliminate the need to export them for editing. : o_please

One trick you might try for finding objects more quickly, if I understand your desire, would be to display them in a preview or thumbnail mode on your desktop, and then take a "picture" of them with whatever form of screen capture you have. I did this on my Mac and it works reasonably well ... look here for an example.
  8. mike m

Message Count:
    PNG additions etc

Flot

Thanks again.

Regarding the thumbnails/directories - I suppose I'll wait to see if Marc adds it to v4 and work out the best way forward. Not a major deal but I hate to waste time searching for elements etc., so thumnails - with a file path written or typed in would help.

I'll look into Shelly's masking idea - would be nice to be able to edit the tlc pngs tho and keep the transparent background. This will keep coming up.

Mike M
  9. KD-did

Message Count:
    The cursed white background with imports is another reason to use dingbats for shapes ..because there aren't any white backgrounds and they stay quick and easy to find if you keep the font names handy..just F9 and the first letter. No coloring problems. They also can layered and used for adding texture or interesting shading to a circle. They take up no more space on your hard drive.

Sample of shape dingbat Basic Button and a few others (character maps) screen shot
  10. mike m

Message Count:
    png transparency etc.

Katie

Thanks for the detailed response.

For basic shapes will use fonts. :party:

Will still need to edit pngs for swooshes etc., and not have a white background tho. Sounds like this is a common problem. Does anyone know a way to edit tlc pngs and import them back with a transparent background? Or a program which will allow this (not sure if the problem is tlc related or with third party programs editing after export and before reimporting). :Taz rant:

Thanks

Mike
  11. Shelly

Message Count:
  12. mike m

Message Count:
    masking elements

Shelly

Thanks for the response.

Will give it a try - looks hopeful - get back when done.

Mike
  13. laughingbird

Message Count:

Hi Mike!
    Thanks for the heads up on the PM you sent me.
    I'm really sorry for my delayed response!

I'll hop into my Private Messages and take a look.
    Again, I apologize.

Your PNG images need to be brought into Photoshop OR, exported from Photoshop with NO background.
    You need an Alpha Channel with your PNG images if you want to bring them into TLC with a clean background.

All of the images that TLC uses - were created one by one and exported as a PNG image from Photoshop. I removed all layers from the image and made sure there was no background surrounding the images.

Fireworks (Macromedia) does this very clean.
    Its' easy to export a transparent PNG image from Fireworks.
    Check out the free 30 day trial if you're interested.

I hope this helps some Mike!
    (by the way, I love your Avatar!)

- Marc
  14. mike m

Message Count:
    editing/transparent pngs

Marc

Thanks for getting back to me.

To-date I have been a Coreldraw user for graphic work, but got Macromedia Studio with Fireworks yesterday (haven't tried Fireworks yet). Tried editing the pngs in MS Paint, which I guess is where the problem has been laid - adding the white background.

I have read your private message - amazingly generous - thank you very much.

Love the product, looking forward to seeing what's in v4.

Hope it's OK to keep asking open questions when I get stuck - there seem to be some good people out there in forum land. Pleasure to add my sixpenceworth when it seems worthwhile.

Is there scope for someone to write an ebook user guide - for profit, a basic user guide, plus with hints and tips like the above? (not me, an experienced user who knows what they are talking about - tho a sub-forum/thread for user ideas to possibly be added to the book would contribute). Wait till v4 obviously. It would be sellable (I'm sure the demand is out there with curret users), and if released via Clickbank etc., could also help publicise the main product.

The avatar is quite lifelike I have been told! Need to come up with a better handle tho!

Anyway, it's that border between late and early over here - when I seem to get most of my online stuff done but ramble - thanks again.

Mike
  15. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Hi Mike!

Looks like Marc and Shelly have already given you some options, so this is of little or no value, but here it is anyway.

In the image below ...
    upper left: original image
    upper right: image has been exported as a transparent png and imported back with the Modify menu unedited.
    lower left:the exported transparent png was pasted into a paint program, edited and exported as a regular png (paint did not offer transparent), imported back to TLC with modify menu, & white backing removed.
    lower right: as above, but cleaned up in the paint program before exporting as a regular png. Imported back to TLC as before.​
    Notably all other formats did have left over white background ... only the png's came in clean.

Not sure how this correlates with Marc and Shelly, but that's how it worked on my Mac anyway. :)

Note: I used a colored canvas to help show up any remaining white backing
  16. mike m

Message Count:
    png transparency etc.

Flot

Thanks for that - comments/help always welcome.

I did something similar via Paint but when I removed the white background having imported it back into tlc it left a fuzzy white line around the object.

Not sure if that is normal or an anomaly in this case.

I'm going to try again via Fireworks once I have worked out how to use it (haven't looked at it yet).

Thanks again

Mike
  17. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Mike,

The paint program I used was MacPaint ... part of the AppleWorks6 word processing program. Cleaning up the image was difficult, because the "eraser" is a wee bit tough to control, and the paint program unlike the draw program does not offer easy pixel by pixel control.

Below, I used Shelly's process. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong ... Shelly may be able to point out my mistake(s) ... but I seem to have a white line left around the edge of the mask. Hmmmm.
  18. mike m

Message Count:
    png transparency etc.

Flot

Yeah me too - slight white line - not all around the masking objects (font shapes) but still visible.

I am going to try fireworks first, if it works great, if not I'll try Shelly's solution again (different masking object maybe). It seems to work for Shelly so should work for others too, not sure if mac or pc makes a difference.

Thanks

Mike
  19. Flotsom

Message Count:
    Only difference between Mac and PC here would be the programs (eg photoshop vs MacPaint, etc) availabe to each.

I had slightly improved results (image with the 2 crescents) choosing highest resolution when asked in exporting as transparent png. When the dialogue box first opens, "no" is highlighted since choosing "yes" is a more involved process and can appear to freeze the computer for a few seconds ... or that's what it says. Maybe that's a warning for my computer based on its processor ... don't know for sure.

Anyway, of the 2 images, the one on the left where the 'edge' is fully visible all the way around was made choosing 'no'; the one lower and to the right where the 'edged' seems to disappear part way around was made choosing 'yes' to the highest resolution. :)
  20. Gravy

Message Count:
    Ok heres my shot at it, I got a flaw or two but I believe I got the technique down.