A photo album I created using The Web Graphics Creator

Discussion in 'Web Graphics Creator Gallery' started by vtella, Dec 17, 2006.

1. vtella

Message Count:
    Hiya
    New to the forum. Just wanted to share a photo album I created using The Web Graphics Creator. You can check it out here ->http://www.victortella.com Click on the album to see it in action. I have posted it on the adobe exchange because I did all the graphics using photoshop. In the instructions on the file I gave a link to the Laughingbird and all credit for the flash portion of the file to Laughingbird software. So you should be getting lots of visitors from it. Hopefully it will generate some sales for you. I love this software in addition to the logo creator and the flash ad creator which I also own and I just wanted to give something back. This was the best way I could think of. Have no fear though I did not supply the software. I wouldn't do that. One last thing I created the 3D book on the desk by hand using photoshop because I don't understand that portion of your software very well yet.

Merry Christmas
    Victor
  2. laughingbird

Message Count:
    :WOW1:

Victor!
    That looks amazing.

Excellent work.

How long did that take you to create?
    not only the clean images you've perfectly placed into the .swf flip book, but the way you've placed the entire flash piece to make it look like a real book.

This is really awesome Vic.

I also want to thank you for mentioning Laughingbird in the Adobe forum.

- Marc
  3. vtella

Message Count:
    Here's what I did.

Hi Marc
    Thanks for your kind words.
    The flipbook was the fastest to make only took a couple of minutes. Your program is perfect for this type of work.
    I don't do this professionally I just do computer graphics as a hobby. I did all the images that appear on the pages in the photo album as well as the desk top. It's just a way for me to have fun on sleepless nights.

OK heres how I did everything.

1 First I did all the graphics in photo shop. That took about 2 or 3 hours. I sized it to fit a common 15" monitor screen browser. Then I saved it as a JPG.

2 Then I created the flipbook using your software and my images of the blank pages not including the corners. Set the size and the background color to match the photoshop file. Getting the size was a little bit tricky at first. Here's what I did about that. I took two blank page from the photoshop file and set them side by side in a separate file just as they would appear in the open book. Then I trimmed the file to fit exactly. and saved it as a jpg. Once that was done I right clicked on the saved file and selected "get info". On a Mac the info that comes up tells you the exact dimensions of the image. Once I had those I just plugged them into your software. Easy as pie.

3 Then I opened the book file made using photoshop in Fireworks which I prefer to Imageready it's easier for me to use. I imported the page file mentioned above and positioned it just the way I wanted it on the original. Once I was satisfied with the results I right clicked and selected "create slice". This creates a slice to the exact dimensions of the selected layer. (the end to end pages). The I just sliced up the rest of the file and exported it.

4 Next I opened the html file created by Fireworks in Dreamweaver and centered the image table and set the background color of the page.

5 Now comes a little trick I learned through trial and error. I go into the html code and find the code for the slice created by the end to end pages and copy the image location from the code. Then I go to the <td> portion of the code and set the background for that cell as the image. The code looks like this <td background="images/index_r2_c2.jpg">. This sets the image as he background and allows for any gaps in the slice. However you must delete the outward image from the code. It looks the same but now you can add anything you want over the image. Text, files anything.

6 Last but not least I inserted the code from your software in the slice created and set the correct dimensions in the code.

Now when I made the book I did find it tricky to get the pages to appear correctly. The first time I did it they had the burnt edges on the inside. But I soon learned that if I numbered the image files consecutively that they came out just fine. I just made all the left hand page odd numbers and all the right hand pages even numbered. Also I found that you don't need to have every page you want in the original flipbook. You only need 2, left and right. Then all you have to do to add more pages is alter the config.xml file by adding the right number of pages. Then duplicate the blank page images files and number them accordingly. Then all you have to do to add your images to the pages is open the blanks in photoshop and resize your images to fit the blanks. Then add the corners, flatten the image and save it. This way you can add any number of images without having to recreate the flipbook.

If you like you can download the whole thing here -> http://www.victortella.com/PhotoAlbum.zip that way you can get a better idea of what I did.

Thanks again for the kind words Marc.
    Glad you like the album.
    Merry Christmas
    Victor
  4. Chris

Message Count:
    Yes that is very impressive. Thanks for sharing that with us.:painting:
  5. shiggs713

Message Count:
    Very impressive, hope to be making similar stuff soon. :)